Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Using Fabric Panels in Quilts

Blog Entries
    I have seen these cut into vertical narrow strips with narrow solid fabric strips placed in between. It gives them an interesting look.

I have also seen the panels cut into symmetrical blocks with sashing in between, to mimic looking out a window, too. Some were sashed similar to a attic window design.

I think it may have been a Michael Miller website that had some interesting ideas on how to use their panels.

There is a quilt pattern called Easy Breezy Quilt Pattern that goes great with panels. Also, the book by Cary Flanagan called "Moon Dance" was written for panels. Look at my picture. It's a miniature made using that book.

i like using them in the center of quilts. here is a picture of one i made for SIL and she just loved it. The size of the quilt is a king size
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Panels are my new weakness. I have two kits that my LQS did with panels one she cut the panel up the other she just did some great borders on the panel. I just a book the other day that had all sorts of ideas for panels from fussy cutting them to border treatments. For the life of me I can't remember the name of the book - sorry!

Ohhhh awesome quilts. I love panels. :thumbup:
    :thumbup: knlsmith, if yours doens't have home I'll give you my address. ;-)

I love using panels for baby quilts. You add a border or two and you're done!

Panels are fun to work with. They can have borders added and work up into a fun and fast quilt.

MM

I love to use panels. There are so many cute ones for babies and young children in addition to holiday types. You can just add borders-usually the manufacturer makes coordinating prints-and quilt them, or if you want to do something more involved, there are lots of ideas in Susan Teegarden Dissmore's books "Clever Quilts" and "Clever Quilts Encore". Also some of the manufacturers have free patterns available on their websites using specific panels. I've seen a lot of articles in quilt magazines recently with ideas for using panels.

The South Seas Imports and Wilmington Fabrics websites have tons of panel quilt patterns. I made one for my daughter (not a pattern from those websites though) with the Michael Miller flower fairies. It was fairly quick and easy and it's ready for the quilter now. Just finished it yesterday. My first top in about 20 years!! I was a teen when I made the last one.
    Evelyn
    Attached Images Attached Images  

When I get a panel, I like to cut it all up and rearrange it. It's a good way to create your own scene.

I got one of a sort of chateau, a tree behind, and by it, a stone wall with flowers. Well, by the time I was done using 2 panels, there was another tree in front, a vineyard back in the distance, a longer wall with flowers with a path approaching the house. I used some other fabric of flowers and sky and made a little pond. Then I went a little crazy and put some foliage in the sky and some sky down by the flowers; like surrealism in art. Fun to make. Sis loves it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast