Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using a Featherweight machine >

Using a Featherweight machine

Using a Featherweight machine

Old 07-14-2014, 05:17 PM

Default Using a Featherweight machine

I know a lot of you have and sew on a Featherweight machine. I am used to sewing on a Bernina 820. My question is, does the speed of the Featherweight bug you because it isn't as fast as newer machines, or is it worth it to stitch slower just to use a Featherweight?
Old 07-14-2014, 05:54 PM
Power Poster

I use my featherweight at retreats and sewing with friends. At home I use a Singer 15 or 301. My 2004 Singer sewing/embroidery machine is hardly every used. I love the oldies for piecing and I use the 15 for quilting on smaller quilts.
Old 07-14-2014, 05:59 PM
Power Poster

I like using my FW just because it sews such a great stitch. It's also good for taking to classes, etc.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:01 PM

I find that I don't like to speed sew, my 1/4 inch suffers. I am very content with the speed of my FW, (Francis). I usually slow my new (2013) Kenmore (Kathrine) machine for piecing.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:07 PM

I guess that I never sewed very fast on my Bernina so the speed of my Featherweight has never bothered me. My daughter gave me the Featherweight to take to quilting classes; but I use that machine every day for piecing. I love, love, love my Featherweight! My Bernina is now used only for quilting, machine appliqué, sewing on binding, machine embroidery, and heirloom sewing. When I first got the Featherweight, I did not enjoy servicing it. Because I use it so much, Thursday is my day to change the needle, clean, oil, and grease the Featherweight. Because I have done it so much, servicing now is a breeze and I love the way it sews on Friday. I cannot imagine piecing without my Featherweight.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:15 PM

I understand your question and yes at first it bothered me, but about an hour in you get the rhythm of the machine and you forget that it is slower than your newer machine. It is a lot of fun to sew on the older machines. Try it out and have fun, there is no rush.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:16 PM

Some Featherweights are faster than others. But, yes, that would bug me. Which is one reason I don't own a featherweight. I've serviced many Featherweights, but prefer my Bernina 230. On the other hand... it would be easier to take a featherweight to class than your Bernina 820. But then again, maybe you could get a Bernina 330 to take to class?
Old 07-14-2014, 06:24 PM

I go slow even on my Pfaff. More accuracy and fewer mistakes that way. :-)
Old 07-14-2014, 06:42 PM

Good question. I don't like to break down my Bernina and find somewhere to store it so that I can use my featherweight, but lately I have found myself missing my little precious, so I might do just that for when I sew the backing I'm ready to make and then sew my jelly roll race top that will be next. My FW sits on a shelf in my quilting room so I can look at it all the time. I know that's bad of me to do because it gets dusty but I guess I'll just have to clean & oil her before I start her up. I do love my cute little featherweight.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:29 PM

Hmmm I guess mine goes at a pretty decent clip. I don't tend to sew real fast for the most part, but while my FW was being serviced (and I had just started sewing) I really didn't notice a different from the newer Janome rental I had and the FW. I do get it going pretty fast when I wind the bobbin. The higher end brands and models may be in a class of their own with speed though, I don't know.