Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Using flannel for backing

Unhappy Using flannel for backing

I would like tips on how to use flannel for backing. When I tried quilting it really puckered.

I use it on baby quilts all the time. Are you using a walking foot? Is the fabric stretched straight?

flannel is a bit heavier/loftier than regular cottons (normally) starch helps- and you have to baste well---lengthen your stitch length a bit- put together a small (like a 12" square) practice piece and try different stitches, and basting, practice until you find what works for you (you didn't say how you were quilting it- i'm assuming machine...did you use a walking foot or a free motion foot? what about batting? there could be many reasons for your problem- maybe show us some pictures of the quilting/puckering??
    tell us how you basted- what foot you are using- what batting (loft/weight) the loftier the quilt sandwich the more chance of puckering- unless you really lengthen the stitch length- and if possible lessen the pressure from the foot (some machines you can adjust that-some you can not) if your machine has settings for light/medium/heavy fabrics- set it for heavy *that will lighten the foot pressure*
    practice on a practice piece---preferably with the same combination as the quilt) until you have it the way you want it---then move on to your quilt
    starching the flannels will help them be more manageable....and more information may get you more advice.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I just finished free motion quilting a quilt for my daughter with a flannel backing. I didn't have any problems with it puckering. I just do pin basting and used Quilters Dream medium loft batting. I washed the flannel before using. Nothing special really.

I have worked with flannel a lot. Wash it and starch it -- all the flannel I have shrinks at different rates (I have had some shrink cross grain, some with the grain and some both and some not at all). I spray baste, so it is glued to the batting. Flannel makes a nice cuddly back for a quilt. DGSs love the flannel.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Blog Entries
    I always wash flannel first and use a walking foot.

I use flannel all the time. Love how cozy it feels. I wash it first, the spray baste
    and am very careful to push out the wrikles to the outer edges. Have never used
    the starch, but sounds lke a great idea. Will try it next time.
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

Try washing the flannel twice. I use iron-on batting with flannel backing, as that stablizes it. Seems to work.

I have used flannel for several baby quilts. I wash and dry the flannel twice, never have starched, pin baste and haven't had any problems yet.

Senior Member Aubrey'sQuiltingCreations's Avatar
    I use flannel and in the past for many of the baby quilts I have quilted, and have had no problems with it at all.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast