Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Using flannel

Using flannel

I am new here. I am beginning a flannel quilt for my grandson who is on the way. I haven't used flannel before. I have already cut my squares. I have read that I should use a 1/2 seam allowance. I washed the flannel before cutting on the delicate setting. Does anyone have any other tips? I have read that people have used sizing with flannel.

Thanks,
    Diane

if you have already cut your squares you really don't need sizing or starch---that is generally used before cutting - it helps keep the flannel from stretching while cutting.
    i do not (baby) my flannels- and make many many flannel quilts- i toss them into the washer on a regular cycle- dry them in a hot dryer- use a bit wider seam allowance- and if they are heavy-double sided really good flannels i lengthen the stitch length a bit- too small of a stitch may cause a little bit of puckering along the seam line if they are heavy-
    other than that use like any other cotton fabric- that's what it is- just softer/loftier - and in my book much nicer to work with....some people complain about flannels being stretchy---in 48 years of sewing i've never experienced this problem- i have seen some thin-loose weave flannels that were stretchy - but i never bought them so have no experience with them.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Thanks! I appreciate your help!

I have made several flannel quilts and even hand quilted one. If you are making a baby quilt, it won't matter much what type of batting you use, but making a large quilt, I would suggest using a thin, low-loft poly batting. The one that I hand quilted was warm and natural cotton and with flannel backing, it was way too heavy.
    Mtn Mama

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the Board from Minnesota and happy quilting
    Nancy in western NY

Blog Entries
    I am making 10 flannel charity quilts for David's house. I have used flannel before, and it does stretch a bit. I use a longer stitch and a bit looser tension to prevent puckering. I iron without sizing, I don't like using chemicals for infants and young children quilts, just a quirk for me. Do use thin batting, or even a layer of flannel as batting. It folds nice, and is so cuddly. I do not use 1/2 inch seam allowance as it creates too much bulk.
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.