Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Using a flannel

I make small lap/crib quilts and don't have time to do a lot of quilting. What can I use for the batting that wouldn't require much quilting and wouldn't bunch up during washing/drying?. I thought about flannel, Could I use this with 100% cotton quilting fabric? How would the flannel shrink compared to the 100% cotton fabric? Any ideas?

Thank you,
    Dixie

You could buy inexpensive blankets, or thrift store ones, they are easy to quilt on, cosy for winter, and one would make several lap size. flannel tends to shrink a lot

Hi Dixie, I was just looking at flannel day before yesterday since I'm trying to keep it light for a California baby. The poly-blends are way too thick and hot. When I went to the store I was dismayed to find all the whites were flammable (with warning on the label and price tag) and the best I could do was a light white with pastel spots on it. I don't imagine the spots would show through anyway, and all material is to some extent flammable, but geesh. I suppose too that after washing a few times all the other flannels they had would be just as susceptible to fire.

I wonder why the warning on some of the material and not all? Maybe they go up like dried Christmas trees or something worse?

Boo
    Steve, it doesn't mean they spontaniously combust! LOL The ones marked not intended for childwear, have not been treated with a nonflamable. Neither have cottons for that matter. Law requires the flannels to state the not intended warning if it is not pretreated. 100% cotton flannel is no more ignitable than regular cotton. If you use flannel for batting as in a summer or baby quilt, I would suggest washing it a few times first. The amount of shrinkage is significant and unpredicatable.