Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using flannel >

Using flannel

Using flannel

Old 01-18-2014, 08:28 PM

Are you worried about fraying before or after you apply the fusible? In other words, will you apply the fusible before you wash the flannel?

I wash and dry flannel twice without sewing around the edges. There is some fraying on the cut ends, but it's not a problem for the selvage ends. When I take the flannel out of the washer, I clip the frays off, then put it in the dryer. After the second wash/dry, I cut the width of the fabric to get a straight edge. So far I haven't used fusible on flannel and it seems to sew up and stay together without fusible. However, I usually quilt relatively closely, and that helps keep seams together.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:43 AM

Thanks everyone for all the flannel tips; this is what I am doing at this point; I zigzagged the inside flannel for seam so can keep to 1/4 inch; then am leaving 1/2" seam allowance on outside (at least for now) when I put blocks together will decide what to do at that point if too bulky. These various animals will make up border for baby quilt and there will be a giant giraffe on face of quilt. It seems to be going together great; I did starch the flannel and have had no problems with sewing together with the cotton. I shrank it twice. Will post later on down the road with the project. Thanks again!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]458080[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_3052.jpg