Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Using Flannel

Blog Entries
    Have you found that flannel stretches more than cotton? I am making a flannel quilt(Warm Wishes pattern), mostly because I have quite a bit of flannel and I don't have to spend any money. I find that I can trim a square several times and it can still be wonky. I don't have problems sewing it, I just wondered if you have noticed the same thing.

never though about flannel stretching...I will have to experiment...

I've never noticed it but I've used big pieces. Did you try searching for it on the board? Interesting question.

It definately stretches more than plain cotton.

Blog Entries
    I have not had any problems with stretching but...I will from now on pre wash it...it shrinks alot...

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    Have you found that flannel stretches more than cotton? I am making a flannel quilt(Warm Wishes pattern), mostly because I have quite a bit of flannel and I don't have to spend any money. I find that I can trim a square several times and it can still be wonky. I don't have problems sewing it, I just wondered if you have noticed the same thing.
    I read a post a few days ago (maybe a week) that someone was having this problem & was told to starch heavily before cutting. I haven't pieced flannel yet, but I know it does stretch.

Yes the only thing I ever prewash is flannel as it shrinks so much...you need to iron, starch and be careful cutting and putting your pieces together (not manipulating a lot) and you should do fine. It is not one of my favorite fabrics to work with but I do when necessary.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Flannel seems to get wonky on me, too, unless I starch it stiff. But, I love starch. Not everyone does.

It does stretch. And shrinks a lot. I wash and dry several times before using. I don't starch but use a lot of pins.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the responses. I just had never noticed it before, and I was curious.