Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using Fusi-Boo for batting >

Using Fusi-Boo for batting

Using Fusi-Boo for batting

Old 09-24-2011, 08:44 AM

I hope someone can answer this question....I have to piece together my batting to make it big enough for my quilt. I am using the fusi-boo fusible batting.... (this is the batting that eliminates the need for basting) my question is after I sew the two pieces together can I use my iron to iron the seam flat or will it ruin the fusibility of the batting (on that seam) when I try to fuse it to my quilt/backing? Hope I explained this well enough.....I think I have to iron out the seam so it's not raised inside the quilt....
Old 09-24-2011, 08:46 AM

you don't sew batting together like you do fabric, you'll have a ridge in your quilt, you butt the two edges together and zigzag across them, or better yet is to use the batting joining tape
i do not like fusilbe batting, i always have wrinkles
Old 09-24-2011, 08:49 AM
Power Poster

I've nver heard of this batting, however, when you piece any kind of fusible interfacing, you never iron because you will activate the glue. I would not iron. try not to strech the batting as you stitch. Maybe you will have a flatter result if you whip stitch by hand. Butt the 2 edges together, do not overlap.
Old 09-24-2011, 08:52 AM

Thank you so much, I was ready to sew.....I have used the batting before and liked it, so I was going to use up my leftover for this quilt. I have never heard of batting tape....I will have to search that out.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:26 AM
Power Poster

You have to iron on batting joining tape. I like the tape, but don't think you can use it with fusible. I would just join it as you do any batting: cut the edges straight, butt them together then join with a wide. long zig zag.
Old 09-24-2011, 10:46 AM

Will do....thanks again!
Old 09-24-2011, 01:28 PM

If the batting fuses to the fabric, why would you need to sew it at all, wouldn't the fusible hold it in place while you quilt. Am I making sense
Old 09-24-2011, 01:35 PM
Power Poster

The fusi boo batting is far superior then the other fusible batting I have used. I had the fabric dept manager at Walmart order it for me much cheaper then buying it elsewhere. It's made by Fairfield and Walmart carries Fairfield batting. I would either sew a zig zag to join or use the batting tape. Batting tape is much easier.