Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using my new Sweet 16 >

Using my new Sweet 16

Using my new Sweet 16

Old 04-23-2017, 07:19 AM

Default Using my new Sweet 16

I went to the Chicago quilt show a few weeks ago and Handiquilter was selling their demo sweet 16s for under $4000 with free shipping so I whipped out my credit card. Three cones of Superior So Fine were also included. (That is some fuzzy thread.) I took a Leah Day and a Christina Cameli class on Craftsy and lots of practice. I'm ready to do a simple meander on a real quilt. Here's my question: where do I start the quilting? The middle row of the quilt? The upper left? Should I fill one block before moving on to the next? Does it matter? The instructional videos use fat-quarter size pieces or individual blocks, which is great for demonstrating a pattern, but not helpful for doing an actual quilt. I spray-baste if that matters.

Another question: the instruction manual says oil every other bobbin, which I took to mean every two bobbins. The DVD says every bobbin. I don't want to under-oil. Is it possible to "over oil"?

Any tips anyone would like to offer would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 04-23-2017, 07:37 AM
Power Poster

I am assuming this is a sit down machine. If so, I think I would start in the middle and work my way out towards the edges. Kind of like a spiral. As long as the quilt is well basted (either with safety pins, glue, or spray baste) you shouldn't have issues. If you are planning on doing an all over meander I would not fill by block as I think it may appear obvious once the quilt is all done.

The few quilts I did on my domestic I never did an all over but I always started in the middle and worked my way out. Now I quilt on a longarm and my longarm is on a frame so I start at the top and work my way down and don't have to baste the sandwich.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:48 AM

I also quilt on a Sweet 16. Jamie Wallen, who does instructional videos, says you can't over oil.

I divide my quilts into quadrants, begin in the center of the quilt and quilt the lower right quadrant, working in a kind of diagonal back and forth. This keeps the bulk of the quilt to the top and left of me (I have a card table to the left of my machine). When I'm done with a quadrant, I rearrange the quilt, so I'm once again quilting the lower right quadrant in the same manner. Good luck with your new machine!!!
Old 04-23-2017, 08:25 AM

Thanks, Joe's mom. That makes perfect sense.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:36 AM
Power Poster

I use Sew Fine a lot and it's certainly not fuzzy. ?
Old 04-23-2017, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I use Sew Fine a lot and it's certainly not fuzzy. ?
Call it whatever you want, but when I can see short, fine fibers all along the length of the thread, I call it fuzzy.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by indycat32 View Post
Call it whatever you want, but when I can see short, fine fibers all along the length of the thread, I call it fuzzy.
Maybe that's why it was included at no charge?

In my experience, you can definitely over-oil. I over-oiled my Brother 1500 and figured it out when I opened the bobbin area and there was brown, gooey stuff on the floor of the machine's casing. You can start by oiling with every bobbin and if you have an excess, then you know to back off to every other bobbin. It doesn't hurt the machine, just makes a slight mess.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:27 PM
Power Poster

But I don't see that on the Sew Fine I have. It's thin and smooth. I use the 60 wt. Maybe the lower wts are fuzzy It comes in 30, 40, 50 and 60 wts.
Old 04-23-2017, 05:26 PM

My sew fine isn't fuzzy either, maybe its a bad spool
Old 04-23-2017, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
My sew fine isn't fuzzy either, maybe its a bad spool
I was wondering the same thing.