Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using old fabric for charity quilts >

Using old fabric for charity quilts

Using old fabric for charity quilts

Old 01-15-2015, 12:23 PM

When I lived in China (10 yrs, by the way) I always dried my clothes outside, even in the winter! In fact, most people in China hang their clothes outside since there are no dryesrs. On damp days, it might take llonger to get the clothes dried, but they did smell nice! Windy days are good for drying clothes outside. I would hang the fabric outside, even in the winter, it will smell so nice!
Old 01-15-2015, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by bee3 View Post
craftygater, there were just posts about toxic chemicals in fabric and laundry. Zep is extremely toxic, its a "Registered Pesticide". I would be careful recommending it AND using it. here is the MSDS From their own
http://images.zepcommercial.com/engl...MSDS-ZUOCC.pdf
omg! It can cause blindness!

Peeps: Please don't use this product ~ it just isn't worth it.

That stuff is TOXIC!

I'll repeat my previous advice: Try using one teaspoon of blue Dawn dishwashing liquid added to your regular detergent of choice. I use Tide.

Last edited by HouseDragon; 01-15-2015 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-15-2015, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by roadrunr View Post
When I lived in China (10 yrs, by the way) I always dried my clothes outside, even in the winter! In fact, most people in China hang their clothes outside since there are no dryesrs. On damp days, it might take llonger to get the clothes dried, but they did smell nice! Windy days are good for drying clothes outside. I would hang the fabric outside, even in the winter, it will smell so nice!
We didn't have a dryer when I was growing up and in my wedded life, didn't have one until our youngest of four children was two years old. I had two in diapers at one time and always hung out everything. When frozen on the line and brought in to hang on a drying rack, they didn't take so long to dry and WOW, did they ever smell good and the diapers stayed WHITER. I now have a dryer but still like to hang out my wash.