Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using Paper Templates >

Using Paper Templates

Using Paper Templates

Old 02-11-2013, 02:29 PM

Default Using Paper Templates

I have been quilting a few years now, but have never used a paper template, (I know, you can smack me on the hand if you like, I deserve it)and now I am making a quilt block from the Oxmoors Christmas Quilt Block Book that uses paper templates, this particular block is a christmas tree that uses triangles for the tree, with another triangle that is inset inside the tree..does that make sense?? I have traced the template, added a quarter inch, matched my dots, etc but the thing just keeps coming out wonky (for lack of a better word). I paper piece some so I thought this wouldn't be much different, boy was I wrong..Does anyone know of an easy tutorial that I might read in order to make this process click for me...
Old 02-11-2013, 02:36 PM
Power Poster

Sometimes the template includes the quarter inch seam allowance. Double check the pattern info and make sure this is not the case.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:27 PM
Power Poster

are you trying to do English paper piecing? where you fold the fabric around the paper template, baste, constuct then remove the templates to re-use? if so, visit PaperPieces.com- they have lots of help. are you trying to template piece the way Jenny Beyer does ? if so, visit her site-she has lots of help tips and a whole community.
maybe pictures of what you are trying to do would help. and do check to make sure the seam allowances are not already (built in) to the pattern....often they are.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:58 PM
Banned

or are you using the paper tempate as a pattern. If so I find it better to glue it onto plastic or cardboard so I can easily draw arund it
Old 02-11-2013, 05:35 PM

Also check to see if there is a 'registration measurement' somewhere on the template page. The template measurements may actually be different from the ruler you are using which is what may be making your blocks 'wonky'.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:40 PM

Thanks for your help, I will check out your suggestions...