Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using quilted placemats as a tv coaster... >

Using quilted placemats as a tv coaster...

Using quilted placemats as a tv coaster...

Old 05-24-2010, 09:25 AM

For Xmas, I made 3 sets of placements - 1 to my mom, 1 to my dad's gf, and 1 to my MIL.

For my MIL, they use the placemats and have a few food stains. It didn't bother me - I'm glad they use them. For my mom, she barely takes them out (just special occasions with non-messy food), they're like new. Doesn't bother me - great, she's keeping them clean.

I was up in CA and my dad's gf showed me what she did with her placemats (which were made to match her new kitchen cabinetry)... she put them UNDER THE TELEVISION in her daughter's room to protect the furniture.

I really am one of those I-release-my-quilt-to-the-new-owner-and-won't-get-upset-with-what-they-do-with-it people, but I was a little irked when I first saw it. She was proud to show me, so she wasn't doing it to be mean or anything, but, yeesh, putting a television on top of? Some people don't get it, heh. Nothing to do but laugh. :lol:
Old 05-24-2010, 09:30 AM

Can you still see parts of it under the TV? I agree - once you give it away, you have to let it go. Maybe she thought she was saving them from stains along with protecting the furniture? Sorry to hear she did this with all your hard work.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:35 AM

Don't feel bad. We are quilters so we think our work should of course be praised and hung to show off. The placemats should only be for decorations and removed when it's time to eat. Unfortunately, others who don't share our love of quilting use the things for normal day to day things. My MIL puts what I give her to use in a drawer. My mom hangs hers all over the house. My GKs have them under the bed, in a bag, etc. I guess once we give them the gift, then we should feel good about it and try not to dwell on it too much. One of my quilts ended up in a dog cage for it's bed. They love the dog like a family member so I chaulked it up. YOu aren't alone. My sister sold one in her garage sale. ARGHHHH.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:37 AM

I made some to be used for that purpose- but they are just scraps, certainly OK to be covered up. But, I understand what you are saying- you meant them to be used, but "displayed" as they are used.

At least they aren't stuck in a drawer somewhere.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
Don't feel bad. We are quilters so we think our work should of course be praised and hung to show off. The placemats should only be for decorations and removed when it's time to eat. Unfortunately, others who don't share our love of quilting use the things for normal day to day things. My MIL puts what I give her to use in a drawer. My mom hangs hers all over the house. My GKs have them under the bed, in a bag, etc. I guess once we give them the gift, then we should feel good about it and try not to dwell on it too much. One of my quilts ended up in a dog cage for it's bed. They love the dog like a family member so I chaulked it up. YOu aren't alone. My sister sold one in her garage sale. ARGHHHH.
I'm sure the dog likes it :D And I know it's not worth getting annoyed about. My dad was cleaning out his house (preparing to downsize) and he got rid of various gifts I bought him over the years. It didn't bother me. He gave away a moose salt and pepper shaker that he doesn't use - my sister flipped out. It was like she hand crafted them or something. I'm glad to not be like that. At least she still has the placemats!
Old 05-24-2010, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Marjpf
Can you still see parts of it under the TV? I agree - once you give it away, you have to let it go. Maybe she thought she was saving them from stains along with protecting the furniture? Sorry to hear she did this with all your hard work.
You can see about 1/4 of them. Heh, it was so funny since she was so proud of using them, heheheh. Maybe it was my fault. I didn't put a label on them anywhere that said "placemats" :mrgreen:
Old 05-24-2010, 09:40 AM

I agree, once we give a quilt, we need to release it. Half of the quilts I've given my daughter are put away because she doesn't want the dogs or kids to ruin them. I gave my MIL a family reunion quilt with everyone's handprint and signature. I've never seen it displayed. The joy is in the making and the intention. I went to a garage sale the other day where a DIL was selling placemats and runner her MIL had made. Really nice fabrics, really nice workmanship. I bought them and made a couple of purses out of them since they werent my dining room colors. At least they got used!
Old 05-24-2010, 10:57 AM
Power Poster

It appears that she liked them since she showed off how she is using them.... Maybe make a topper just for that purpose? Then the placemats can go back to the table? :D:D:D
Old 05-24-2010, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by amma
It appears that she liked them since she showed off how she is using them.... Maybe make a topper just for that purpose? Then the placemats can go back to the table? :D:D:D
Good idea. I can embroider in the center 'place tv here' and on the placemats 'place on table' :D
Old 05-24-2010, 02:18 PM

Lucy: just a hint- Scotchgard. I spray all my tablerunners and potholders so they don't stain. I don't know if they make a spray to repel TVs.