Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
using scraps--locker hook rug making... >

using scraps--locker hook rug making...

using scraps--locker hook rug making...

Old 03-03-2010, 07:21 AM

Hi Everyone,

Just got back from the Mid Atlantic Quilt Festival and saw a vendor demonstrating "locker hook" rug making. She was using 1 1/2" strips. What a great way to use up even more of my scraps! Up until now if the strip wasn't 2 1/2" (for binding) it was trashed. Of course, she was selling a kit for over $40, but I found a smaller kit at the Hancock Fabrics (in Hampton VA) for $6-7. Neither kit included fabric. Hancocks also sells just the mesh. I plan to make several throw rugs and if I get ambitious enough a large area rug that is taped together (like carpet squares). woo hoo! waste not, want not...

Rose Hall
Old 03-04-2010, 06:54 AM
Power Poster

I also saw and vendor at the market who used strips, I think she was using 2" to crochet fabric rugs. She had a huge crochet hook and was doing a double crochet stitch. I think for an oval rug she started with a chain and then just started double crocheting but was going around her chain rather than back and forth like you normally would, the effect was really unique and when she got the end of her strip she would fasten on another one and keep going
Old 03-04-2010, 07:35 AM

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=loc...utf-8&fr=b1ie7

lots of information.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:07 AM
Power Poster

I was remembering crocheting fabric scraps a while back... you can make them round, rectangular, square, oval... Single crochet makes them more dense, double crochet a little more open :D:D:D
I have seen the locker hooking too demonstrated :D:D:D
Both of these are an excellent way to use up scraps
Old 03-04-2010, 08:25 AM

I remember learning how to crochet fabric strips in high school. In fact, that is on my "to do" list this year (along with 13 other projects!!!).

I'm wondering, though, if the mesh used in locker hook rugs makes them more durable???

I would be curious if anyone has experience with one vs. the other. Might as well use the technique that wears the best (I have 2 large dogs, a messy husband, and a 3 year old son--soon to be 2 sons...)

thanks for anyone with advice...
Rose Hall
Old 03-04-2010, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Rose Hall
Hi Everyone,

Just got back from the Mid Atlantic Quilt Festival and saw a vendor demonstrating "locker hook" rug making. She was using 1 1/2" strips. What a great way to use up even more of my scraps! Up until now if the strip wasn't 2 1/2" (for binding) it was trashed. Of course, she was selling a kit for over $40, but I found a smaller kit at the Hancock Fabrics (in Hampton VA) for $6-7. Neither kit included fabric. Hancocks also sells just the mesh. I plan to make several throw rugs and if I get ambitious enough a large area rug that is taped together (like carpet squares). woo hoo! waste not, want not...

Rose Hall
I want to try that too
Old 03-09-2010, 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by Rose Hall
I remember learning how to crochet fabric strips in high school. In fact, that is on my "to do" list this year (along with 13 other projects!!!).

I'm wondering, though, if the mesh used in locker hook rugs makes them more durable???

I would be curious if anyone has experience with one vs. the other. Might as well use the technique that wears the best (I have 2 large dogs, a messy husband, and a 3 year old son--soon to be 2 sons...)
I would think both are equally durable. The locker hook was used as I understand it in Austrailia. They used wool, then started using carded wool. (for those who could go out and shear the sheep!) I would think the 'hard' part is getting the locker hook. I haven't seen them in my local Hobby Lobby, I'll check Michaels, but I doubt it.
thanks for anyone with advice...
Rose Hall
Old 03-09-2010, 03:28 AM

Locker hooking is fun.

Rugs, tablerunners, pot trivits , hot pads, bags and anything else you can think of.

I just like making rugs, most favorite is the toothbrush rugs.
Next is the rushing rugs and crocheted rugs.

You get started ad you will be hooked..
Old 03-09-2010, 03:30 AM

rose
I have crocheted rugs and the toothbrush rugs that are over 20 years old and still fine... they wear forever it seams...
Old 03-09-2010, 03:50 AM

I did the locker hooking about 6 yrs ago when it was demonstrated at a quilt shop. I bought the mesh at Joann's to do it very inexpensively. However, all I did was a pot holder. To much work for me. LOL