Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
using small quilts to make a large one >

using small quilts to make a large one

using small quilts to make a large one

Old 02-22-2017, 10:32 AM

Default using small quilts to make a large one

I'm not really a quilter but need expert advice from one. I'm trying to declutter the house. In a large trunk I have all my son's baby quilts (made and given to him by family members) I was thinking about getting them made, or doing it myself, into one large quilt so he can still enjoy them. Any ideas how to go about this? I don't want to cut them up as most are panel quilts with lovely scenes. Could use some advice. I did a search on the forum here, but couldn't find anything related.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:43 AM
Power Poster

You put 4 together Quilt As You Go style. Cut one side and bottom off of 2, cut one side and top of the other 2, put sashing between them to form one large top, and then add sashing to the back to cover the joins.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:10 PM

Tartan's idea is a good one. If you are not a sewing person, your best bet would be to go to a local quilt store and they can help you. BEFORE you cut the quilts up, make sure they are turned the way you want them to be. What I mean is, lay them out and mark which sides and ends to cut, making sure one isn't upside down or turned the wrong way. You can't uncut! (I'm an expert at learning lessons the hard way!)
Old 02-22-2017, 02:23 PM
Power Poster

I also agree with Tartan, however, if you are a non-quilter/sewer, you are probably sort of scratching your head at techniques and terms we use. As yngldy (young lady?) suggested, take them to a quilt shop, not a big box fabric store. You can also see if there are any quilting guilds or groups in your area and take them there. If you feel they have enough sentimental value to continue life as a larger quilt then seeking out some local expertise is worthwhile.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:30 PM

if any of the makers of the quilts live near you, they would be thrilled to help you with this project. we quilters love love when someone loves and appreciates our quilts enough to preserve them so that they can be loved for a while longer by the recipient
Old 02-22-2017, 09:28 PM

Check pot holder quilts. These were four small finished quilts which were put together into one large quilt using the ladder stitch to attach the bindings.
Attached Thumbnails img_0880.jpg   img_0882.jpg  

Last edited by applique; 02-22-2017 at 09:31 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:36 AM

I agree that a quilter would be happy to advise you or even assist you. But, before you talk to them, do some planning. Lay the quilts out on the floor, move them around until you find a pleasing arrangement. Lay some different colored things in between to get an idea of a color for the sashing. Use a sheet or even an article of clothing laying under the edges to give you an idea for colors. Use your phone and take a couple pictures. Then, when you speak to someone, you will have pictures and measurements to help them help you.
Old 02-24-2017, 09:45 AM
Power Poster

For me, a lot would depend on the style of quilts that are being combined. I like some cohesion in my quilts. That said, Quilt-As-You-Go would be a good way to go.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:42 PM

Wow, thanks everyone for the advise. I'd never try a big box store because there isn't one convenient to my, but my small town has a quilt store and a quilters guild. Frankly they intimidate me, but I think I'll give it a go. Applique, the pics you posted are kinda what I had pictured in my mind. Thanks bunches.