Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
using starch >

using starch

using starch

Old 11-28-2009, 12:40 PM

I want to try using starch on my fabric. If I have a piece of fabric about a meter in length, how do I go about starching it? Do most of you use spray starch? Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

ranger
Old 11-28-2009, 12:45 PM

YES YES YES Starch!!! I spray the fabric and let it set for about 15 mins then lay it out and press it well. The best starch is Mary Ellen's but that is quite pricey. Can Spray starch has always had a tendency to burn for me. I use the starch in a blue gallon jug that you mix 50/50 with water. Starch is absolutely necessary if your fabric is not the best quality. If it is higher quality then starch is still very useful but not as critical IMHO.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:51 PM
Power Poster

I use a heavy spray starch. I spray dry fabric until it is damp and let it dry again..then I steam press it. When I am cutting pieces with bias edges, I spray it heavier, or a second time and let it dry again before pressing.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:17 PM
Power Poster

I use a pink lavender-scented starch. It's not too heavy. I also use sizing in the can - it is also not too heavy. I want my fabric to still be pliable.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:45 AM

I buy liquid starch and then mix it in a spray bottle with water. One bottle has lasted me for forever - and I use alot - usually go through one spray bottle per two weeks maybe - depends on how much sewing I can get in in that time period, of course.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:32 AM

Love the mary ellen's spray starch...fabric feels great and smells beautiful!:)I have found great deals on that at Hancocks and it is so much of a deal I don't buy it ever again from the LQS...I paid $4 on sale there for what would be $13 at the LQS...big difference! Watch for sales for it..also, I have found I really like the Walgreen's brand of spray starch too. I use that on big pieces like yardage...save my Mary's for piecing and last press;)I'm a starch'n queen!! Skeat
Old 11-29-2009, 04:16 AM

Thank you.

Another question....if it's a bigger piece of fabric, how do you keep the area clean as you spray?

ranger
Old 11-29-2009, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by ranger
Thank you.

Another question....if it's a bigger piece of fabric, how do you keep the area clean as you spray?

ranger
I have one of those sit on boards that you put on top of your ironing board...I wrapped and stapled extra batting and then muslin. I haven't seen a problem of leaving a mess anywhere...and if I did, eventually I'll replace the muslin...:)Skeat
Old 11-29-2009, 07:18 AM
Banned

Have you ever been to MaryEllen's website? She sells her starch by the gallon too. Right now that is a lot of money for me to spend. I wish I had another quilter who lived close by so we could split the jug, and then it wouldn't seem so expensive. I do love that starch.
Bev
Old 11-29-2009, 07:40 AM

I usually use Mary Ellen's spray starch -- love that stuff. If I need it stiffer, then I use a spray starch or spray sizing. :D