Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Using white fabric

I have been told by several quilters that white fabric should not be used in a quilt. I can not figure out why this would be so because it is a good blender. I am not talking about a bright white. I am making another Bento Box quilt and some of the fabrics have a little bit of white so I am using white as the light color and it looks fine to me. Does anyone have any answers to this.

I have no idea... maybe because other colors will bleed into them? I used whit red and black on my first quilt and used a color catcher and had no problems so not sure.

Well, if it's a law that you can't use white in a quilt, I'm in BIG trouble!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'd say use the color(s) that you want....

Dix
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bag Lady
    I have been told by several quilters that white fabric should not be used in a quilt. I can not figure out why this would be so because it is a good blender. I am not talking about a bright white. I am making another Bento Box quilt and some of the fabrics have a little bit of white so I am using white as the light color and it looks fine to me. Does anyone have any answers to this.
    I am prone to off white or a tone on tone. There are alot of shades of white!

Thanks Samantha.

I had not thought about the bleeding from other colors but it makes a lot of sense. I prewash my fabrics before I use them anyway.

I am in trouble too. I have used lots of white on white fabrics in my quilts. I sure hope the quilt police don't come after me.

I do use the colors I like and I am going to use white but I just could not figure out why white should not be used. I pre wash all my fabrics anyway. Maybe these people have had a problem with other colors bleeding into the white.

My philosophy is "NEVER SAY NEVER". I've used white many times in my quilts. No clue as to why someone would give you that advice.
    If you think it looks good in your quilt and there's not a valid practical reason to eliminate white, I would use it.

thanks. I found out that sometimes white is the only thing that looks right with what I am using.

The only thing important, is to remember to use white batting instead of the usual off-white when sandwiching the quilt. If you wash fabrics before making the quilt, there shouldn't be a problem with bleeding.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 ... LastLast