Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
using wool batting >

using wool batting

using wool batting

Old 11-24-2011, 11:59 AM

I machine quilted a quilt for my daughter who is stationed in South Dakota with a wool batt. It was the 1st time I had used one. I loved quilting thru it and it had a bit more loft than my usual Warm and white/natural. I had to warn her about washing instructions tho.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:22 PM

I was at a lecture about batting and the lady said it was fantastic stuff. and it was perfect for Childrens quilts. Wool doesn't burn like other batts. Wool will actually put itself out and not continue to burn...interesting isn't it?
Old 11-24-2011, 12:22 PM

It is definately warmer! Having worked with both and slept under both ... Its much warmer!
Old 11-24-2011, 01:21 PM

I had always used warm and natural and find it is not warm unless heavily quilted and then it is like a board until washed several times.. I started using 80/20 hobbs and liked it better...and used a piece of wool for a baby quilt...it was wonderful soft....but fluffier ..I quilted on my short arm...would use it again for baby quilts but prefer 80/20...I do know W/N is hard to hand quilt...finally learned that...I am sure it is preference....just try for yourself...Margo In Maine
Old 11-24-2011, 03:05 PM
Power Poster

I LOVE THE WOOL BATTS!!! DREAM WOOL IS MY FAVORITE- hobbs is good too- they are lightweight- fluffy/lofty- quilt beautifully- are wonderful to work with= and are warm in the winter- cool in the summer- the quilt on my bed has a wool batt- i keep it on year around- when i wash the quilt it is so wonderfully fluffy/soft and snuggly-
if i could afford it i would use wool batts for all of my quilts. the good thing about wool is--it breaths. and has great insulating properties.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:12 PM

Wool is the warmest, but you must mark it some how, as time go by you may for get, or give it to some one that may
not know that you can not just wash it like other quilts.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by newbee3 View Post
I would like to know if using the wool batting any better than the warm and natural for the warmth??
I pieced a king size quilt a few years ago & had my quilter use wool batting inside it. I love it! It seems to adjust to the room temperature on our bed. Just the right warmth even though the room might vary somewhat in temperature. I store it in a cedar chest wrapped in a cotton sheet during the summer. Also, I took it to a laundromat to wash it because their machines are larger than mine. I washed it in cool water with Woolite for dark colors & had no problem. I partially dried it in their dryer & brought it home to finish drying over a bed. Had no noticable shrinkage.
BTY, did you know that bugs don't like whole cloves? I sprinkle the cloves in closets where wool clothes hang & have had no problem with moths. Also, to be safe, I sprinkle some of the cloves in the cedar chest. Again, no bugs
Old 11-24-2011, 05:28 PM

I Love wool batting. I use it almost exclusively. I try to find it on sale. The first time I wash a quilt I do wash & dry in the machines, then I tell the recipient to wash it on delicate & hang to dry. It's warm in the winter & a little cooler in the summer. I love fluffy quilts & the wool makes 'em just right!
Old 11-24-2011, 06:00 PM

I hand quilt and I love working with wool batts. It just quilts like butter and has better loft than cotton. It will also be warmer as the fibers trap air. It will wick moisture and retain up to 50% of it's weight without feeling wet. As for moths, the do not like plant fibers and will not be inclined to chew through in order to have a meal. The finishing processes tend to discourage felting and make a batt washable. When in doubt, quilt a sample and treat it roughly the wash to see what happens. It takes water, heat, and agitation to make felt so that is why it is recommended to dry flat. These conditions cause the scales on the fiber to interlock/ felt.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:52 PM

I have used wool batting and it is wonderful. Will use it in all of our quilts. Quilts beartifully.