Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Valleys fraying??

Blog Entries

Valleys fraying??

Hi all quilters! First of all I want to say how much I have enjoyed this board! Learned so much, saw so many beautiful projects you were all willing to share.

I am working on my first turned edge applique quilt; I am having problems with peaks and valleys; mostly valleys! I take extra stitches in the bottom of valley but still many times have a few small threads show or poke out or fray a bit. Is there a way to stop this problem? What about using a fray bond or check? I have read some negative results with color problems with fray check so am a bit leery of that happening. The valleys are quite small so not a lot of room to work; I did not use a heat n bond or wonder under as thought it might make the edges a bit stiff to turn. Any help or hints well be most appreciated!!! Thanks so much for your time.

Sincerely,
    Antylu

Blog Entries
    Two of your best friends when hand appliqueing are a glue stick and the rounded toothpicks. Dip the toothpicks into the gluesticks and then use that to help tame those threads that don't want to tuck under. It washes out and does no damage. Don't know where you are from but here we have Crackerbarrel resturant and that's where I buy the rounded toothpicks from; you can get a big pack for around a $1.
    Judy

Power Poster
    I don't do much hand turned applique anymore but if I remember correctly, I always tried to not clip (with the scissors) the turn under right in the valley. I did a couple of tiny clips on both sides instead. If you clip right in the valley it is very hard to get it turned without threads sneaking out. Some applique experts may give you better pointers.

Blog Entries

Thank you both!

Both of these suggestions sure make sense and I should have thought of them but sometimes don't see what I should have in the beginning. I guess that what makes me a beginner! Thanks again!

My daughter does beautiful needle turn appliqué and she taught me to keep the toothpick in my mouth. It keeps the wood moist and roughens it a little so it grabs the threads better.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Blog Entries
    I'm just getting ready to start my first turned applique project.......so what does that mean "peaks and valleys"? Any information I get a head of starting will be most helpful I'm sure.
    Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!

Power Poster
    The most difficult spots in needle turn applique are usually the pointed (peak) end of narrow leaves etc. The valleys are the inside curves of a heart shape etc. For beginning needle turn applique, it is easier to kind of round the peaks and valleys a little so they aren't as steep.

Blog Entries
    For anyone just learning, may I suggest this tutorial...really helped me! Long but so good!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEeir...3&feature=plcp
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie