Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Valleys fraying?? >

Valleys fraying??

Valleys fraying??

Old 03-05-2012, 01:39 PM

Default Valleys fraying??

Hi all quilters! First of all I want to say how much I have enjoyed this board! Learned so much, saw so many beautiful projects you were all willing to share.

I am working on my first turned edge applique quilt; I am having problems with peaks and valleys; mostly valleys! I take extra stitches in the bottom of valley but still many times have a few small threads show or poke out or fray a bit. Is there a way to stop this problem? What about using a fray bond or check? I have read some negative results with color problems with fray check so am a bit leery of that happening. The valleys are quite small so not a lot of room to work; I did not use a heat n bond or wonder under as thought it might make the edges a bit stiff to turn. Any help or hints well be most appreciated!!! Thanks so much for your time.

Sincerely,
Antylu
Old 03-05-2012, 01:56 PM

Two of your best friends when hand appliqueing are a glue stick and the rounded toothpicks. Dip the toothpicks into the gluesticks and then use that to help tame those threads that don't want to tuck under. It washes out and does no damage. Don't know where you are from but here we have Crackerbarrel resturant and that's where I buy the rounded toothpicks from; you can get a big pack for around a $1.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:48 PM
Power Poster

I don't do much hand turned applique anymore but if I remember correctly, I always tried to not clip (with the scissors) the turn under right in the valley. I did a couple of tiny clips on both sides instead. If you clip right in the valley it is very hard to get it turned without threads sneaking out. Some applique experts may give you better pointers.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:15 PM

Default Thank you both!

Both of these suggestions sure make sense and I should have thought of them but sometimes don't see what I should have in the beginning. I guess that what makes me a beginner! Thanks again!
Old 03-05-2012, 09:35 PM

My daughter does beautiful needle turn appliqué and she taught me to keep the toothpick in my mouth. It keeps the wood moist and roughens it a little so it grabs the threads better.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:29 AM

I'm just getting ready to start my first turned applique project.......so what does that mean "peaks and valleys"? Any information I get a head of starting will be most helpful I'm sure.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:47 AM
Power Poster

The most difficult spots in needle turn applique are usually the pointed (peak) end of narrow leaves etc. The valleys are the inside curves of a heart shape etc. For beginning needle turn applique, it is easier to kind of round the peaks and valleys a little so they aren't as steep.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:58 AM

For anyone just learning, may I suggest this tutorial...really helped me! Long but so good!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEeir...3&feature=plcp