Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The Value of Quilts >

The Value of Quilts

The Value of Quilts

Old 04-30-2011, 07:10 PM

We see a lot on the board about vintage quilts and their value. Most of these quilts were made by an ancestor and are a family heirloom. Even then the owners are advised not to repair a worn quilt because it will devalue it.
But what is value? In the dictionary the first definition is monetary. The third is the meaning of importance to someone. The phase "I value her/him as a friend" certainly has no monetary meaning.
I was surprised when all of my daughters told me the quilts that had been given to them and made by my grandmother/great-grandmother were "comfort" quilts. Not necesssairly as a part of their bedding but something to wrap up in and cuddle when you did not feel good or was watching a movie on TV and it was chilly. In one daughter's family it was an "honor" to be sick enough to "get the quilt".
My family will never sell any of our quilts because all of my daughters and granddaughters LOVE quilts. So the value is what they mean to us. I am repairing the vintage quilts that need it and using fabric that was in my Mother's scrap box. Some of it dates back to the 60's and 70's. So on the label I am making (hopefully if I ever get this process down) I am listing the date it was made and by whom, and the date it was repaired and by whom. I am saving as much of the original as is possible (even backing those pieces with interfacing). BTW for those that do not think hand quilting "holds up", when the fabric is totally gone, much of the piecing and quilting is still intact.
JMHO
Sue
Old 04-30-2011, 07:20 PM

i totally agree with you as i do not put a monetary value on the things i love.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:44 PM

I took a crazy quilt to the Columbus quilt show to be valued one year the lady asked me how much I wanted it to be worth she spent about ten minutes looking at it then said she would send an official valuation to us. We got the letter and she said it was worth exactly what we told her we wanted it to be worth so I really do not believe in the values an appraiser gives.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Hosta
. We got the letter and she said it was worth exactly what we told her we wanted it to be worth so I really do not believe in the values an appraiser gives.
Wow. I hope she didn't charge you much for that.

I can't imagine that in "real money" that most old quilts are worth much. I mean, many of them are one step away from falling apart. You have to be very careful with them, etc. REALLY old ones can't be exposed to much light. So, as they get older, they fall apart. Why would I want to save something like that?

I think that some people like the idea of antiques--the idea of "it was great-grandmother's" makes them have warm fuzzies. That is really nice, but I can't imagine paying huge amounts for something that will decompose (as cotton will) over time and calling it an investment.

Of course, emotional value, comfort and memories are all wonderful and represent to me the true value of the quilts. How can anyone give you a price on that? Impossible. It's priceless.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:00 PM
Power Poster

I agree with Parrothead.
The only term that I can see using the word "value" of a quilt is a really historic piece, such as from the Civil War, etc but even then I can't equate that kind of value with money.
And also justflyinin's post- again I agree. Cotton deteriorates, sadly. I've seen museum quilts that are climate-controlled but of course, not for sale. I wonder how long they will hold up.
I saw President and Mrs. Lincoln's Inaugural clothes recently at a DC museum. It was awesome!!
Old 05-01-2011, 02:44 AM
Power Poster

the American Quilters Society has a 'course' and trains appraisers. if you take your quilt to a Certified Quilt Appraiser you will receive a written report on your quilt and the (Insurance value). it is well worth the $$ to have special quilts appraised. if the appraisal is done at a show often the appraiser will look carefully at the quilt, take measurements, ect then also will take a number of pictures. then they (go home) you recieve your written appraisal in the mail a couple weeks later.
i would always make sure the person who is doing the appraisal is a CERTIFIED APPRAISER - if the person is not- your appraisal may not mean much if you need an insurance claim or are giving the quilt away.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:42 AM
Power Poster

Having a monetary price for a quilt can be valuable, but I agree, the sentimental or appreciative value is priceless :D:D:D
Old 05-01-2011, 10:47 AM

Yes, some of the old quilts are worth as much as you think, or as much as you can get when they are sold.
Once I fell in love with a crazy quilt about the size of a lap robe in an antique shop. My DH told me that I could make one even better than that, but should I buy the antique, all I would have was a pretty piece of quilting that was too old to use or even handle much.
So I made myself one, step-son's bride fell in love with it so gave it to her/them for wedding present. She loved it so much she kept it in the divorce!!!
Old 05-01-2011, 01:06 PM

The official "appraisal value" of a quilt is a nice concept, but who will pay that price? The antique value of things is like a auction, and right now antique dealers tell me the market is dead.
Much better to look at quilts as practical items, sentimental treasures, or creative expressions.
I think we all would like to see our efforts treated like museum pieces, but our grandmothers mostly made quilts to keep their loved ones warm while adding a bit of beauty to their homes.
Fix them if they are damaged, and label them. And hope that someone will treasure them like you do.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:36 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by emmah
The official "appraisal value" of a quilt is a nice concept, but who will pay that price? The antique value of things is like a auction, and right now antique dealers tell me the market is dead.
Much better to look at quilts as practical items, sentimental treasures, or creative expressions.
I think we all would like to see our efforts treated like museum pieces, but our grandmothers mostly made quilts to keep their loved ones warm while adding a bit of beauty to their homes.
Fix them if they are damaged, and label them. And hope that someone will treasure them like you do.
I think this expresses my sentiments exactly.