Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Value of wedding quilt for my son >

Value of wedding quilt for my son

Value of wedding quilt for my son

Old 08-21-2012, 10:46 PM

There is nothing wrong with sharing the cost - blood, sweat, and tears along with love goes into each quilt we create. They are our works of arts, and yes, we want them to be used, loved and cherish for years to come. When I give a quilt to friends and family I tell them the dollar amount, not so they know how much I spent, but so they don't abuse the quilt. I also tell them, when the time comes and the quilt has been well loved (used) I will be more than greatfull to repair or replace. When I gift, I do not expect anything in return except a hug. You have to remember, the non-quilting world does not know the cost of materials, thanks to Wal-mart and other stores, and then the amount of time.

I was watching Fon and Porter today and you could make a quilting envelope/label with the value and care instructions tucked inside and let them know only open if they truly want to know. But make sure they are sitting down, you don't want the honey moon to start in the ER. LOL
Old 08-22-2012, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
Baby quilts get vomited on, get pooped on, have milk and formulae spilled on them frequently. How do you wash and dry them?
I include a note with every baby quilt saying I have already put it through a regular wash cycle and in the dryer, please feel free to do the same.

I can't imagine anything other than maybe a Christening blanket (for one time use) being given to a baby and expected to not be washed and dried.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:13 PM

Just a quick reply. As a very young married woman, I was ignorant when it came to quilts. My mother in law had made a quilt for my husband when he was very young and we didn't take good care of it. I wish now she had given me directions on how to take care of it and no abuse it. It didn't last very long being thrown into a laundromat washer and dryer. I think a newly wed would appreciate those facts.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:37 PM

what an interesting thread. thanks guys.

after reading through the whole thing, i think tothill said what my guts feel.

no one who knows me well enough for me to consider making them a quilt thinks they come cheap. and i'm not wealthy; when i made a quilt years ago for a good friend's new house, i offered her the chance to upgrade the backing to flannel if she helped to pay for it. quilter's flannel is atrociously expensive and this was a queen sized quilt. she did it, and recently i slept under that quilt at her house. more than ten years, three kids, four cats and a dog later, it is washed and worn, soft as butter and as utterly loved and real now as i ever could have dreamed it could be come while i stitched it.

i loathe insurance companies. if the house goes up in flames and the replacement value of the quilt is given, driving to pennsylvania and purchasing a new handmade quilt isn't going to replace the holes left in the heart. and if it's about money, the replacement value of the quilt in the cheque will go towards something that means something to them anyway.

but i'm funny that way. living richly and being broke ass changes your perspective on what's important i guess.

aileen
Old 08-22-2012, 07:45 PM

and now i want a whole bunch of longaberger baskets.

hahaha!

aileen
Old 08-23-2012, 10:27 PM

"Huh? How is one supposed to clean a baby quilt if not by washing and drying? Or are you expecting it to be put away (for what purpose?)"

Most people don't know to wash only on gentle or "handwash" cycle. One of my daughters washed her children's bed quilts every two weeks for 5 years on regular cycle and then asked if I could mend some weak places. That was my fault, not hers. How was she suppose to know. She probably felt she was doing all she could to keep on top of things. I hadn't given her instructions.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:02 AM

Mail it and put on the insurance value. For most craft items it is twice the price of all materials included.