Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Van Gogh panel >

Van Gogh panel

Van Gogh panel

Old 08-17-2016, 03:22 PM

Default Van Gogh panel

How would you quilt a panel from Robert Kaufman, Van Gogh Garden? I am stumped...
Old 08-17-2016, 04:40 PM
Power Poster

​I would kind of thread paint in the features on the fabric. Look for areas you can highlight with matching thread that meet the batting requirements.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:15 PM

It's such an inexpensive panel, I almost hate to suggest this, but I would probably grab several different colors of thread -- either 100wt silk or 50/2 cotton -- that match or nearly match the colors in the print.

1. Tree trunks (Color A)
2. Stems (Colors A, B, C, H)
3. Yellow, orange, brown grass/fields (Colors C, D, E, F) - Dirt around base of flowers (G)
4. Sky (Colors A, G, H)
5. Houses (I)
6. Flower petals (Colors A, B, C, G, H)
7. Trees, bushes, green grass (B, C, E, F, H, I)

I would quilt my foundation lines first (marked in red, but quilted in the lightest color that matches that area).
[ATTACH=CONFIG]556149[/ATTACH]
Then, I would outline the tree trunks & stems of flowers. After that, I would fill in parallel lines in yellow to fill in the grassy areas between the foundation lines. I would go back & add a loopy line for areas where there is any green, brown or peach. I would add a pebble pattern in the pale green area by the base of the flowers. Next, I would quilt a cross hatch pattern using the 3 colors for the sky. Then, I would outline the houses & flower petals. I would probably just use the jet black thread to outline the villas, but D, E & F could work if you think those look better. When that was finished, I would mainly use that triple curved line design (not sure what it's called) to fill in the trees -- or you would leave them plain -- or even faux trapunto them, if you like. Here's what the triple curve looks like that I'm thinking of (I changed directions, so this is 4 repeats):
[ATTACH=CONFIG]556152[/ATTACH]

Hope that gives you some ideas. What a fun project! Can't wait to see what you do with it!
Attached Thumbnails vangogh.png   triple-curve.png  
Old 08-17-2016, 07:11 PM

Bree123 such great idea's for quilting!!!
Old 08-18-2016, 04:37 AM
Power Poster

I would do a little more detail thread painting outlining the trees and maybe some outline of clouds in the sky. Did RK have the panel quilted on their website?? You might want to look to see how another quilter dealt with quilting this panel.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:54 PM

I would do a simple fracture. For example cut entire panel into 4 to 6 inch strips, then piece narrower solid color fab strip s in between shifting lengths of the panel up and down a couple of inches. Add a border double the width of the in berween narrow strips.
Quilting design possibilities multiply and stitches will stand out.

Last edited by FabQuilter; 08-18-2016 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:31 AM
mac

Bree 123 that was an impressive layout, and impressive quilting ideas. Way to go!