Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
variations of 10 min block & other stuff >

variations of 10 min block & other stuff

variations of 10 min block & other stuff

Old 07-24-2011, 04:51 PM

Hi, all

I just watched one of Suzanne McNeill's newer tutes on youtube based on quilts from her "10 Minute Blocks 2" book.

I like the sample she did on the video, but am intrigued by the "star" block quilt she shows that's done in shades of yellow. It looks like two squares sewn in the seams, but knowing how the uppermost square has to be sewn in (based on the original 10 minute block), it can't be done that way.

So, two questions.
One, has anyone ordered the book? Is it worth the money? I saw it on the web and am planning to order it after payday. I don't have her first book, but have made some of the 10 minute blocks. (Actually that was my first quilt project.) Should I get the first book also?

Second question: If anyone has the book, can you tell me how she does the double layered square in the center? I'm not asking for specifics or for anyone to violate copyright laws or anything, I'd just like to know the basic process for that block.

I'm thinking of adding her triangles from a rectangle cattywampus on the corners of each square, sewing them down to hold them still, then pretending the square with the triangle is a normal square and proceeding. Don't know if that will work or if that will be a new invention. :lol:

While I'm asking, I have another stray thought. I watched some tutes online about taking two strips of fabric, sewing them together down the length, then cross cutting them so that you have a square. Layer two squares, right sides together and having opposite colors touching, sew around the outside of the square using a 1/4" seam, which basically makes a closed pillow with seams on the outside. Cut corner to corner in both directions and voila! Two HST and two QST. Has anyone tried this with strips of more than 2 fabrics? What did you get?

Can you tell that I have too much time to think today? :?

Happy piecing and hope your quilting is obedient to your wishes this week!
M&M
Old 07-24-2011, 05:36 PM

Looked at the demo on you tube and have no idea how she does the star block and I have her first book, which I really like.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:06 PM
Power Poster

I have no idea how she makes that block. What a creative designer :D
I really like the patterns in her second book... it is going on my list!
Thank you for starting this topic :D:D:D
Old 07-24-2011, 08:36 PM

Here is the link- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bmyfo...91807A0855365F the star quilt is approx. 13 sec. in. Sorry I can't help you,but thanks for posting. I didn't realize she had a second book. :thumbup:
Old 07-24-2011, 08:48 PM

Yep, that would be the one I am trying to figure out. She doesn't have directions, though, unless one has the book which I don't at the moment.

You know, there ought to be a quilter's library somewhere out there so that quilters can borrow a book (like at a library) and if the quilter decides it's a book "I can't live without", then buy it. Imagine the trouble we quilters could get into then. :lol:
Old 07-24-2011, 10:11 PM

I ordered her book # 2 also a Big block quilt book. Have only had a few min to flip thru them because had family bring them from the USA to me while visiting.
I may be able to answer your questions but not before Mon night as it's now 2 in morning and I must get some sleep.
I will need to reread your post and study what you want.
I have made the 10 min block so understand. Talk to you later probably by private message Is that OK ?
Old 07-24-2011, 10:49 PM

Are there smaller square pieced into the corners of the larger squares before the center square is sewn in? But then it looks like the edges are rolled on them as well....
Old 07-25-2011, 04:22 AM

That's my favorite too so guess I'll have to order the book.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Mornigstar
I ordered her book # 2 also a Big block quilt book. Have only had a few min to flip thru them because had family bring them from the USA to me while visiting.
I may be able to answer your questions but not before Mon night as it's now 2 in morning and I must get some sleep.
I will need to reread your post and study what you want.
I have made the 10 min block so understand. Talk to you later probably by private message Is that OK ?
PM is ok with me. I may not get it immediately since I've got to help my mom put in a hot water heater today (and probably tomorrow, too) but I'll check in periodically. You can tell me if it's a "must have" book! :lol:

Hope you have a wonderful time with family!
M&M
Old 07-25-2011, 11:34 AM
Power Poster

Mornigstar I would like to know whether the book is also worth getting. I have so many books that I have not used a pattern from. Only bought the book because it looked fantastic and then when I got home there was maybe only the cover patten that I may do someday. With the economy being the way it is I can't afford to waste money on buying a book just for one pattern.