Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Very basic question 2 - seams pressed open or to the side? >

Very basic question 2 - seams pressed open or to the side?

Very basic question 2 - seams pressed open or to the side?

Old 06-07-2014, 04:27 AM

Default Very basic question 2 - seams pressed open or to the side?

I was taught to press seams to the side, because it makes the seam stronger than if it's pressed open. Watching a Leah Day video yesterday, I noticed that she presses hers open. It certainly makes things easier when it comes to avoiding bulk and also helps avoid light against dark fabric and vice versa. What are people's opinions on this?
Old 06-07-2014, 04:37 AM

I have been pressing open since I started quilting many decades ago. I like a very flat block or piecing unit. I have never had a seam come apart.
My advise .. try a few test blocks and see what you like.

Its funny a few years ago I had a large quilt top (all seams pressed open) .I was showing it a my LQS , and all of them loved how flat the top was. I then turned it over showed to open seams ... and a hush fell and even a gasp. They then all of them, as if on cue turned and walked away. It was as if I had committed a crime no one wanted to witness. It was then I realized I not only had come face to face with the quilt police ...it was the entire squad!

I laugh about it now wondering what the "charges" might have been. Maybe "illegal use of an iron", or "failure to follow local ironing laws", or "failing to yield to peer pressure".

Last edited by Lori S; 06-07-2014 at 04:43 AM.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:37 AM
Power Poster

I still press to one side. I found out the hard way that with seams open, that some batting can beard out between the seams. I am very careful to cut my strips the width of a pin wider to compensate for the fabric lost with the "hump" of the seam. I also prefer to do EB method of trimming down a block if possible.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:58 AM

I think the current feeling is to do it the way you like it. Pressing to the side was the standard when all piecing was done by hand. Machine piecing is strong, that's why I prefer it. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it.) I do believe machine work is more durable.
Sometimes I press open to reduce bulk, but I usually have more trouble pressing open, so I will press to the dark fabric whenever possible.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:58 AM

I prefer to press to the side whenever possible. It makes it easier to nest the seams. I had one I was working on and thought it would lay flatter if I pressed open. What a pain that was! It took forever and when I sandwiched it some of them flopped back over anyway. I won't bother pressing open unless I really think the pattern I'm working on requires it. As for quilting over the thick spots...some quilts look great with meandering patterns and I just work around the bulky seams.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:09 AM

I usually press to one side but there are some projects that would work better when they're pressed open, like the one I was working on last night. Wish I'd pressed them open.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:14 AM
Power Poster

when i first started, i pressed open like in garment sewing. but the seam is so narrow, i went with the pressing to the side. now i don't burn my fingers
Old 06-07-2014, 05:52 AM
Power Poster

I have done a few projects where pressing open was necessary. I still prefer pressing to the side.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:52 AM

My preferred method is to the side, but in actual application, it depends entirely upon the individual project. The fabrics used, the piecing pattern, any appliqué or embellishments to be added, the quilting planned...all those go into my decision on which way to press the seam allowances.

My thoughts on the group that walked away when they saw Lori's seams were pressed open are this: perhaps, just perhaps, their walking away (and maybe even rolling their eyes as they did) was simply because they knew that, despite admiring and understanding the obvious benefits, there was no way they would ever devote the time or energy required to press their own seams open.

That doesn't make them 'quilt police', just makes them acutely aware of their own limitations and maybe (dare I say hopefully?) even frustrated by being held prisoner by them. In other words, more of a self-judgement than a judgement of Lori.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
I have been pressing open since I started quilting many decades ago. I like a very flat block or piecing unit. I have never had a seam come apart.
My advise .. try a few test blocks and see what you like.

Its funny a few years ago I had a large quilt top (all seams pressed open) .I was showing it a my LQS , and all of them loved how flat the top was. I then turned it over showed to open seams ... and a hush fell and even a gasp. They then all of them, as if on cue turned and walked away. It was as if I had committed a crime no one wanted to witness. It was then I realized I not only had come face to face with the quilt police ...it was the entire squad!

I laugh about it now wondering what the "charges" might have been. Maybe "illegal use of an iron", or "failure to follow local ironing laws", or "failing to yield to peer pressure".
Hi Lois S. Your comment really gave me a chuckle! Now I know a way to clear a room of quilters! I really would have loved to be there. Keep pressing you seams open! There are no rules!