8- presser
9- sandwich assembler
10- glue-baster
11- quilter
12- washer
13- presenter

Kinda silly, isn't it?
Old 10-27-2014, 07:31 AM

She participates in one aspect of the art of quilting (without the top there would be no quilt), therefore she is a quilter.
Old 10-27-2014, 07:32 AM

Why must we attach a label to ourselves? Aren't we all here to enjoy and share the experience of creating something unique?
Old 10-27-2014, 07:38 AM
Administrator

it's just a matter of personal perspective.
i never say i've made a quilt until it's completely done ... last stitch on the binding.
to me, there's a difference between finishing a top and making a quilt.
others see it differently and that's just fine.

i also don't consider myself as having made the whole quilt unless i did everything.
if my friend quilts it, i consider it a joint project.
others see that differently, too, and that's just as fine.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:18 AM
Power Poster

That piecer sounds like the type person I say Hello to then go on about my business of telling everyone I'm a quilter.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:19 AM

I agree with the piecer. Since she never completes the the quilt-no shame in being a piecer.We all do what we love even if it is not the whole process. Many people make tops and send then out to be quilted.It is part of the process and she can call herself what ever she wants.Just my opinion.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:21 AM

I believe we are all quilters with different areas of expertise.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:24 AM

I have seen the term 'piecer' before, and if that's how that woman prefers to identify herself, I think it's fine. It doesn't mean that everyone who only pieces, has to identify that way. Some people frankly aren't interested in the process of turning a top into a quilt.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:35 AM

Hmmm, what would a person call themselves if they completed a whole cloth quilt! Not a piecer, certainly. Not a quilter???
Why diminish the part we play in the completion of the whole, and why give someone who "only" quilts the final finished product more credit for being a quilter (sometimes they load it onto the longarm and use a pre-digitized program, not a lot of creativity there, folks!).
I think of myself as a sewer. I sometimes do the piecing, sometimes I finish the binding (tho I hate hate hate hand work, where others love love love it) sometimes I stitch in the ditch, sometimes I try my hand at free motion. I still am not ready to call myself a quilter! But it is my choice, and when I cross over that line, I probably won't send out announcements....I will just have moved up from being a sewer (piecer/creator/designer/inventor/maker/fabric selector/color co-ordinator) of the top to being a finisher of a quilt. Enjoying the process, learning each time I touch one and loving the quilt, no matter how little or how much I contributed to the finished product.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:54 AM
Power Poster

Sometimes, in the interest of avoiding confusion, these designations are necessary. As a longarm quilter, when I post a photo of a quilted top I did not make but I quilted, it is easiest refer to the maker of the top the "piecer" and myself as the quilter. Since those are the literal definitions of each part we took in the process.

As far as the piecing being the most important part, I don't agree with that sentiment. I feel each part is equally important. Without the quilting there is no functionality in a completed top. It can't be used until quilting (or tying) and binding is completed or it is finished in some other fashion be it a duvet, or simply backed with another piece of cloth and "birthed". I have seen many a quilter turn a poorly pieced top into a thing of beauty and in some cases quilting may be the only thing that will hold all that patchwork together after rigorous use. Additionally some of the most breathtaking quilts I have ever laid eyes on aren't pieced at all, but wholecloth quilts.

Funny how we use these terms. When I start a new project I say I am making a quilt, even if I am at the cutting stage. I don't say I am making a top. However, that pile of tops waiting to be quilted I call tops not quilts in waiting. LOL.