Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Very interesting  but true >

Very interesting but true

Very interesting but true

Old 10-27-2014, 09:08 AM

Well, I'm a mom. Had a little help there too, but does that make me not a mom? Don't think so.

I also enjoy piecing the quilt top, but do not enjoy the actual quilting process. So, I tell people I'm a topper. I also like to attach and finish the binding, so I guess I'm a binder too. Last but not least, I am a quilter! I do make quilts. Maybe with a little help, but they are my idea, my color choices, often my original design. I piece the tops, have the care to have someone quilt them well, and then I finish them. Makes me a quilter in my mind.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:28 AM

Hmmmmm. I'm not really a seamstress, since my sewing machine makes the actual stitches. Guess that would make me a 'machine feeder' of sorts. Come to think of it, the MACHINE is the actual quilter, as well! We mere humans only serve to push the proper buttons.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:36 AM
Power Poster

This is the whole jist of quilting and so true. Also if you have made one (no matter the size) quilting of sandwiching 2 or more pieces of fabric together, you are a quilter.
Originally Posted by mrs. fitz View Post
She participates in one aspect of the art of quilting (without the top there would be no quilt), therefore she is a quilter.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:36 AM

Default Got me thinking?

Here goes. I pick and choose fabrics then I pick a design. I then cut and sew the cut fabric to sub sized units that I piece together, sash and border. Send the back front and batting to the long arm lady who will assemble my 3 partially completed units onto the quilting machine and actually quilt my work returning to me to apply the binding. Now I ask, am I a quilter, or what? At this point, I am thoroughly confused!!

Soman2
The other Rodney
Old 10-27-2014, 09:46 AM
Power Poster

My DGN is only 10. Taylor "sewed" (her words) a potholder and a coaster. She took her time and "sewed" (her words again) a heart in the middle of each one and gave to her Grandmother. She bound it by hand. I don't have a photo but when she showed it to me, she said "Aunt Theresa, I can't wait to learn how to quilt. I told her "Sweetheart, you've already made 2 quilts. She got the biggest grin on her face and I got out the box of tissues. The look on her face was priceless.
Old 10-27-2014, 09:49 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
Hmmmmm. I'm not really a seamstress, since my sewing machine makes the actual stitches. Guess that would make me a 'machine feeder' of sorts. Come to think of it, the MACHINE is the actual quilter, as well! We mere humans only serve to push the proper buttons.
Unless, of course, the "mere human" is doing it all (peicing or appliqueing and quilting) by hand. And I know we have loads of hand workers here on the QB.

Oh and my non computerized LA machine doesn't do anything but sit there and look pretty until I start moving it around.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Unless, of course, the "mere human" is doing it all (peicing or appliqueing and quilting) by hand. And I know we have loads of hand workers here on the QB.

Oh and my non computerized LA machine doesn't do anything but sit there and look pretty until I start moving it around.
True. I use a machine. Therefore, I am not a quilter. Even if I did hand sew and do all the stitches, I'd theoretically have to give the title to my thread. The thread is actually what 'makes' the quilt.
Old 10-27-2014, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by teddysmom View Post
I know many of you "quilters" will disagree but sitting a a field of hay does not make me a farmer but a sitter.
I hate to state the obvious but sitting in a field of hay is not what makes a farmer a farmer. My husband is a full time farmer. He repairs tractors, tunes them up, plants, harvests, hauls the grain, dries it, feeds some of it to the animals. He fixes things around the farm-equipment, fences, etc. He feeds livestock daily, plants, fertilizes and cuts hay, bales it. Hauls it, stacks it, etc. He never just "sits in a hay field".

at any rate, I quilt my own quilts so therefore I must be a quilter.
Old 10-27-2014, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
That is so true. I love the piecing but drag my feet at the quilting. I do it but it is my least favorite part.
This is me...were you in my head? I am more the piecer than the quilter. Lot's of tops for the girls to go through when I'm gone. �� Oh well...do what makes you happy and if nobody gets hurt, YEAH!
Old 10-27-2014, 03:22 PM

Most people I know who only do tops call themselves "toppers" because they create the top and not the quilt. I really don't care about labels...