Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Very last trip to Hancocks >

Very last trip to Hancocks

Very last trip to Hancocks

Old 07-22-2016, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by FairviewFarm View Post
I've been told that JoAnn's is planning to move into communities where a Hancock Fabrics is closing but there isn't already a JoAnn's store. Sure enough when I checked JoAnn's website for job openings, the town where my local Hancock Fabrics is/was located is listed. Of the two I liked Hancock Fabrics better but if JoAnn's does come to town at least I'll have a source of sewing supplies where I can see and feel before purchasing (as compared to ordering online).
Gee, thanks Fairview Farm. I think we're talking about the Hancocks where I used to shop, too. And I love JoAnn's also.
Old 07-22-2016, 04:51 AM
Power Poster

They close the store near to me (Norco) about 18 years ago. I never found much fabric to buy there but then I made occasional trips to M&L fabrics located in Southern Ca.
Old 07-22-2016, 07:48 AM

I won't shop at Hobby Lobby any more.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
I won't shop at Hobby Lobby any more.
Why is that Carolynjo?
Old 07-22-2016, 11:44 AM

The local Hancock's closed about 10 years ago. Do have 6 JoAnn's within a 50 mile radius, a Hobby Lobby, Walmart and a Ben Franklin. We also are lucky enough to have quite a few LQS in the Nashua, NH area. I used to love Hancock's and was sorry to see the local one close.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by ILoveToQuilt View Post
The local Hancock's closed about 10 years ago. Do have 6 JoAnn's within a 50 mile radius, a Hobby Lobby, Walmart and a Ben Franklin. We also are lucky enough to have quite a few LQS in the Nashua, NH area. I used to love Hancock's and was sorry to see the local one close.
No Ben Franklin close at all. Joanns and Hobby Lobby 30 minutes away. One quilt shop local. But Hancocks had the heavier weight fabric at reasonable prices.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:06 PM
Power Poster

I am going to miss ours so much! It's only 1 mile away.
Old 07-22-2016, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by sewnsewer2 View Post
I am going to miss ours so much! It's only 1 mile away.
Yes, you will really miss yours....
Old 07-22-2016, 05:48 PM

I really love buying fabric at Hobby Lobby. They have lots of wonderful novelty fabrics, and have a 30% off sale price nearly every day. Also, I get a 40% off one item on my phone that can be used once a day over and over on subsequent days. I pick out the most expensive piece of fabric, have them write the ticket for the yardage at its regular price, and then use the 40% on my phone for that one piece. They are happy to write up the ticket that way. I love everything about that store including the Christian music being played in the background as I shop.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by SherriB View Post
I went into our Hancock Fabrics a couple days ago. It was almost completely bare. They had a display of buttons left and another display of odd and seldom used sewing notions. They had one small display of flannel and I bought some of that for quilt backings. It makes me really sad to lose our store. Some of the employees have been there for years. I wanted to ask if they found another job but I didn't have the heart to ask. Our store will officially close tomorrow I think.
Is Hancoks of Paduca the same company? That online store has just revved up its sales and I definitely would hate to see them go out of business.