Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Very Old Quilt Blocks >

Very Old Quilt Blocks

Very Old Quilt Blocks

Old 01-21-2010, 05:41 AM

I friend of mine just finished a quilt that she had made out of some old blocks her mother-in-law had made. She took some digital pictures of old (sepia) photos of family members, printed them on fabric. She also took pictures of excerpts from her mother-in-laws diary, some of her favorite recipes and other momentos. She alternated these blocks with the quilt blocks. It was very charming and sentimental. She gave the quilt to her sister-in-law for a birthday present. Wish I had a photo to share.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:48 AM

I had a friend long ago who said that she somehow "sealed" her cedar chest, but now I don't remember how she did it. It seems to me that she put some sort of wood sealer, and sanded and then painted it. I have not heard of this from any other place. Anybody know if that would actually work?
Old 01-21-2010, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Pineapple Princess
Is it just cedar? I have a huge maple cradle my dad made for me when I was born that I store my quilts in. Right now, they're all in bags, but I was wondering...
No not just cedar; all wood. I've seen a lot of very old quilts that were stored in cedar chests, or other wooden boxes and they had lots of large yellow spots on them. It's so hard to get out.There are a couple of products that will remove some of it.
However, most chests were not sealed in any way back then. So it may be different if the wood is sealed. I'll have to talk to my guru and get back to you............
Old 01-21-2010, 07:33 AM

My former mother in law gave me some Sunbonnet Sue blocks many years ago. The fabric was all there so I finished the blocks and added some soft turquoise sashing to make a quilt for my daughter's first big bed. It was later passed on to our granddaughter.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:41 AM

Forget to send you a picture of the Sunbonnet Sue quilt. It is attached.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-65990.jpe  
Old 01-21-2010, 07:47 AM

What a precious............little girl! The quilt is pretty, too!
Old 01-21-2010, 08:40 AM

Granddaughters are always precious! Thanks!
Old 01-21-2010, 09:02 AM

I have a quilt block that my grandmother made and since I'm 71 you can see it's pretty old. My cousin had them and gave each on of the grandkids one. I have it in a plastic box now but I have always wanted to put it in a frame under glass and hang it on my wall. I don't think I would make a large quilt out of your blocks, the weight might seperate some of the material.
Old 01-21-2010, 09:14 AM

oh me gosh - I found several blankets and quilts that mother left hidden under mattresses. This old house does not have closet space. She used wardrobes to hang stuff but no where to lay flat things. Isn't that curious? Thanks for that insite. Guess I have to go to the bank of serta when Iget cold......snicker
Old 01-21-2010, 09:19 AM

Maybe, store it in a pillow case. I've heard the fabric is able to breathe that way.

I'll be anxious to hear what you plan to do with the blocks.

I have an old, old quilt from my husband's side of the family. It was being used as a packing blanket!!!!! I have rescued it although it is very holey and well worn. I plan to take the best area and frame it under glass. The pattern is Drunkard's Path, red and white. It is another UFO and when I get it done, I plan to post pics!