Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
VERY old Singer >

VERY old Singer

VERY old Singer

Old 05-16-2008, 05:45 AM

Hi everybody.

I'm wondering if you might be able to help me figure out how old a machine is and your suggestions for utilizing in quilting.

I have an old singer "G2990865" that is in great condition and even comes with it's own attached overhead light (Ok, it's not one of my ott lights, but it's cute) and it's portable. I haven't been able to find much info online and I already have 2 other machines (had 3 but didn't want to be greedy, so sent to mom for instructional use). It's larger than a featherweight but is easily carried and comes in a case.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:23 AM

I had 2 ancient Singers I wanted to sell, but needed to know their age. I emailed Singer (www.singerco.com) with the serial numbers and models. They were very helpful and able to tell me the years and place of manufacture even (which was 1936 and 1941, Clydesbank, Scotland).
Incidentally one went to a retired chap from UK who used to sew in his teens and was taking it up again. Other to a french lady who was going to use for patchwork.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:35 AM

http://www.singerco.com/support/serial_numbers.html

I have a 1908 Treadle
Old 05-16-2008, 11:26 AM
Banned

well, I for one LOVE my old Singers.... and wouldn't sell or give away any of them...
I use the 301(s) -- I have two -- for piecing and meandering..

My machines range over about a hundred years... and they all work.

I just fixed up an old 1928(@) Majestic (a Franklin/White badged machine... identical to a White 127) for my handicapped adult daughter. I took off the (dead) motor and put a knob handle on the wheel and she runs it by hand. She doesn't want to use an electric machine - too fast for her - and she's not co-ordinated enough for a treadle...

She's working on her first quilt - 4 square squares with another row of 'sashing' on each block.... making a lap quilt... she's VERY pleased with herself and her progress.
I cut the squares and pin them for her - she does the sewing, I then press and pin again for her, etc. It's not something she can do all by herself but she sure can take credit for the sewing part.

If that's a 66 or 201 hang on to it - the area under the harp is HUGE and great for quilting...
Old 05-16-2008, 01:00 PM

OOOOOh, thanks everyone for your input. Loretta, I found the singer dating site from a google search. It's a 1913 according to the list.

http://www.singerco.com/support/serial_numbers.html

Katrine, I wasn't sure what to enter on the search but saved the link in case anyone else wants to go right there.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:02 AM

Katrine, I love your dogs. My little Bailey is two yrs old. He is so entertaining and full of energy, bet he would love to play with your two.
Old 05-17-2008, 01:24 AM

dd, Bailey is beautiful - yes I can just imagine him dashing around with my two. Favourite game is a large ball and racing around with it between them - no rules!

Retrogirl - I just used the Contact Us to Customer Services and they were so good.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:09 AM

Would you use this machine for quilting only or just keep for for fun? I'm a peddle to to the metal kind of sewer and have the option to slow stiches down on my new Kenmore. I learned on an old Kenmore and actually prefer it but this was a gift from my husband when he set up my sewing room. I have counter space for a third machine but am not sure how to use it. I downloaded a manual and may have to research it but am very visual and have had somene demonstrate a machine to me before I used it.