Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
VERY user friendly machine >

VERY user friendly machine

VERY user friendly machine

Old 05-22-2013, 09:45 AM

Default VERY user friendly machine

Hi, I know (or at least hope) that I will get a lot of opinions, however, that is what I am looking for. Currently I own a Bernina 640 but I am not finding it very user friendly. It might be because I am a slow learner or that I never got my classes but for whatever reason I'm not sure that it is the machine for me. I had the opportunity to watch a friend using her Viking Diamond and everything about it seemed like a breeze. My question is: what machine is recommend for someone who is not THAT experienced and is mostly self taught with just a few classes under her belt. Really want to progress in skill level and number of quilts made. Thanks for any and all feedback.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:55 AM
Power Poster

I love my Bernina 440 and I took the free lessons. I also have Bernina club at the shop I bought it from that teaches a free technique every month. Buy a machine from a reputable shop that offers free lessons and lots of support.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:57 AM

I found the Janome 6600 to be very intuitive. The instruction book if you need it is short and sweet.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:25 AM
SSK

I just bought a Bernina 710 and am also having difficulties with it. I have had two demonstrations and one class so far. So easy at the store and get it home and it seems I get a block. I know I can do it, I figure if millions of other people can do it so can I. I am pretty good with the computer and taught myself to quilt so a little sewing machine computer isn't going to get me. I will keep with the lessons and hopefully.....
I sure can feel what you are feeling but I don't think learning from the manual is easy. If I were you I would invest in some lessons at a dealer. Well worth it and no more frustration. (Well, I still am but not for long.) Keep plugging away and be patient, but most of all have fun. Let us know later how you are doing.
Old 05-22-2013, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by newdoda View Post
Currently I own a Bernina 640 but I am not finding it very user friendly. It might be because I am a slow learner or that I never got my classes but for whatever reason I'm not sure that it is the machine for me.
Can you go back and take your classes? I have Bernina 440 and The classes made a TON of difference to me becoming comfortable with my machine. They are included in the cost of your machine and the dealer OWES them to you.

I bought my machine used, 1 year old, and it was shipped accross country to me. My local dealer has an "adoption" program if you did ot purchase from her. I paid to take the classes but it was worth every penny. If you do not live near the dealer you bought from (if you bought it new), perhaps the closest dealer to you would let you pay to take the classes from them. Berninas are great machines and I feel bad that you haven't been able to bond with yours. At the very least, download the My Bernina workbook and do the practice exercises.

http://www.keizerbernina.com/my-bernina-workbooks.htm

Last edited by Skyangel; 05-22-2013 at 10:39 AM. Reason: add link
Old 05-22-2013, 10:38 AM

Go back and get your classes!
Old 05-22-2013, 10:38 AM

I agree see if you can't get some help with your Bernina! Also check out the Bernina website they have a lot of videos and information out there. You can do it! My mom got an 830 (the new one) and she mastered it although she still hasn't gotten on a computer
Old 05-22-2013, 10:43 AM

I agree. Take the classes and put the practice samples in the manual.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Go back and get your classes!
I second this!
Old 05-22-2013, 11:15 AM

I've never lived close enough to a shop to take classes of any kind. Are there videos or online classes available for these machines?