Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Victorian Velvet Crazy Quilt Stocking >

Victorian Velvet Crazy Quilt Stocking

Victorian Velvet Crazy Quilt Stocking

Old 08-10-2018, 10:22 AM

Default Victorian Velvet Crazy Quilt Stocking

I have the makings for a Victorian Crazy Quilt Christmas Stocking and I am going to pull it out as I have had eye surgery and won't be able to carry my machine to my group on Thursday. I have velvet as well as silk and other fancy and even metallic fabrics. Do I do a regular 1/4" seam? What about the bulk and turn of the velvet? Won't it show? Should they be machined before putting on the fancy embroidery stitches? If putting lace on the edge, do you sew it on after or put it into the original seam? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-10-2018, 11:36 AM
Power Poster

I would use a muslin foundation and the turn and flip method. draw your general stocking outline, but have a couple inches extra around it. I probably would go with a larger seam allowance on those fabrics that are fraying, 1/2"? Check your velvet for fraying, some fray like crazy others don't so you might be able to get away with a slightly narrower hem, but there's not a lot you can do with the bulk. Just try and position it so you are attaching thicker fabrics next to thinner ones. I would piece the whole thing first, going about an inch past your outline, then go back & embroider and embellish. Next, I would check your muslin for the stocking outline. Piecing and embellishing can pull it out of alignment. Adjust if necessary, do a stay stitch on the line, then cut adding the seam allowance. I would add the lace next, putting the ruffle edge toward the stocking & machine baste right on your stay stitch. I would then place the right side of the stocking on a rectangle of your backing fabric & sew on the same line as before. Don't catch the ruffle of the lace. Add a ribbon loop to hang. Cut the backing fabric and clip the curves. I personally wouldn't line it, just serge or zig zag the edge. I would just bind or add a cuff at the top to finish. If you make the cuff with a finished overlap, you don't have to mess around trying to make it fit exactly. Whew! Hope some of my wandering reply helps!!

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 08-10-2018 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:13 PM

I would only use one piece of velvet & make it the first one that ya put on the muslin. Ya then sew the other pieces of fabric to the velvet & it doesn't have to be folded. That will reduce the bulk.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:26 PM

Paper Princess: You are a sweetie. I appreciate very much all the detail that you have given me because I have no directions and even tried to look up info on this board and didn't find anything helpful.

dubib: I like your idea and I could actually do it even in other parts - just let the other fabric do the turning like you suggested. Thanks