Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Viking Machines? >

Viking Machines?

Viking Machines?

Old 08-13-2009, 02:10 PM

Does anyone know anything about a Viking 6000 or a Viking 150?

They're at an estate sale, and look pretty old. Tomorrow (Friday) they'll be 50% off, if they're still there. They wanted $150 for the 6000, and $100 for the 150.

I just wondered if they're anything like how you all talk about your Janomes, etc., and if they'd still be a good buy, even though they look quite old.
~ and are they just regular machines or do they embroider? I haven't been able to find them online.
Thanks for any info! :)
Diana
Old 08-13-2009, 04:12 PM
Power Poster

Check out http://www.patternreview.com for reviews of these machines. You may have to join (it's free) to look at the older reviews -- well worth the trouble, IMO. Here is a link to one thread I found there quickly; I'm sure there are others.

http://sewing.patternreview.com/cgi-...ard.pl?t=20409

You can also get a lot of information from a group on Yahoo. Here is a link to their home page:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/viking...chinespre1980/

This won't do you any good for a purchase decision tomorrow but, if you do decide to get the machines, it is a great group for finding out more about them, information on how to clean and repair, where to find parts, etc.

I think the older Vikings used cams for embroidery. You should be able to lift a lid to see a cam in place for regular stitches. If so, be sure to ask if the embroidery cams come with the machine; they are often lost when separated from the machine, along with any accessories such as extra feet and bobbins.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:35 PM

I have a Viking 150E and I love it (she and I used to live in Gun Plain Township, btw :) ). It's 20 years old, and is as reliable as anything I've ever owned. Maintenance is easy...clean under the feed dogs ia about all it needs. It does NOT get oiled. It does not embroider, does not use cams, does straight stitch, blanket, zigzag, blind, button hole, maybe a few other really basic ones. Be aware that feet for Vikings are expensive and generics will not fit. Also, if you use one of those bobbin winder gizmos, it will not work with Viking bobbins. No bells or whistles, no computer, but you can change a bobbin without moving what you are working on and any accessories are readily available at a Viking dealer. It is quiet, solid, and dependable. Easily worth $100!! A steal at $50.

Oh yeah, it's my only machine.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:43 PM

Thanks for the site, Prism99! I've not seen it before! Looksl ike a wealth of info!! :-)

Thanks, Ghostrider, for letting me know about your's!!
And can't believe you lived so close!!! Where are you located now, still in SW MI??

I was thinking from the bit I read on the site Prism posted, that the 150 might be more reliable. So I just need to make sure there's the various feet included, etc.

- If it's still available. And if I can figure out if I can finaggle the $50 to spend on it. lol!!!! :wink:
Old 08-13-2009, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Diana Rainer
And can't believe you lived so close!!! Where are you located now, still in SW MI??
Close as I could get and not be in Otsego. I was the first house over the line on 108th. Now I'm back in my native New England, NH to be exact. I think you'll be quite happy with the 150 if it's even half as reliable as mine has been.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:56 PM

Drat! You would have been about 10 minutes from me! Was wishing you were still close by! lol!!
But it must be nice to be back on your home turf! :-)
Thanks for all the info, I'll see if it's still there tomorrow! I know both machines had the manuals and other items sitting next to them, so hopefully everything is there.
:-)
Old 08-13-2009, 05:57 PM

Wow,
Sounds like a great deal!
K
Old 08-14-2009, 02:59 AM

If you do decide to get one of these machines, you can get genuine Viking feet from this shop. They are less expensive than the Viking stuff at Joann's. I've ordered from them. They are pretty quick and even if it's backordered, it was only a couple of days extra.

http://sewingmachine221sale.bizland....re/page63.html
Old 08-14-2009, 03:34 AM

I have a 415 and love it. Great buy.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:49 PM

i have an old husquvarna 2000. is going on 35yo and is still reliable as ever. you can still get replacement parts etc. I am and have always been very happy with it. :!: :D