Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
viking sapphire machine??? >

viking sapphire machine???

viking sapphire machine???

Old 02-03-2015, 12:14 PM

Default viking sapphire machine???

would like to hear from anyone that has a viking sapphire 930Q machine..I have been looking at this machine from a dealer and she wants 700.00 for it, not to sure if this is a good price and if this is the machine for me... I want a machine to do FM quilting on..

I have been trying to find a machine that has a bigger throat space and this one has a 10 inch I think.

.is there any other machine that has a bigger throat space that i should look at that is in that price range?

Thanks
Old 02-03-2015, 01:51 PM

I have a Viking Platinum - couple models older than the Sapphire. My friend has the Sapphire but not sure if it's the 930Q. We each paid about $1200 new for our machines - about 10 years apart. Neither of us do FMQ so not sure how helpful this info will be for you.

I love my machine. Have never had an issue with it at all. It will sew anything I throw at it (except the binding on a boat cover!). I have done machine quilting with it - just not free motion. Since it has an auto tension, I did not have to make a single adjustment; no need for a walking foot either.

I want to think my friend did a rag quilt on hers with no issues/walking foot either. She bought her Sapphire about 3-4 years ago for $1200. So I would think $700 is pretty reasonable but couldn't hurt to try to negotiate??? I certainly would. Since it is at a dealer, are they willing to give any kind of warranty?

Hope this info helps. Good luck.
Old 02-03-2015, 02:26 PM

I have a Viking Sapphire 875. I love it!! I've had it for a few years now. I have great support from the store I purchased it.

If I want to learn anything on it all I have to do whenever I want is call with a question and they will set me up with someone to get 1/1 tutoring.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:21 PM

When I was researching machines 2 years ago, the sapphire was on my list. What I read in several reviews was to buy one that ends in a 5 instead of 0. The 930 was the first generation of sapphires, which had issues that they worked out with the second generation, ie. 935. I didn't buy a Viking, so that's all I can say, but just be sure to get a machine you love, and can get serviced.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:58 PM

I have the Sapphire 870Q but up here I paid over $2000 Cdn for it. It is a good machine... just remember when the throat space is quoted as 10" that is the width space.... these machines still have just the 5" height in the harp area. I know there are other machines out there...can't remember the names at the moment... that have a higher and wider harp than these. If you're not doing queen size quilts... no problem.
Old 02-04-2015, 04:23 AM

I have the Sapphire 835, purchased for $1,000 in 2011. It is a wonderful machine...I do FMQ (although I still need to improve my skills) using the free motion spring setting (there is a second free motion setting that when I use it seems to make the threads break...probably user error). I love the walking foot that came with it and all of the specialty feet. I did buy the clear 1/4" foot which is my go-to foot for piecing. I love the wide throat, which does not seem to be available in a lot of machines in the less-than-$1,000 price range. I think $700 is a fair price for the model with specific quilting features; I did not get that model and it still is great for everything I do, which is mostly quilting.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:31 AM
Power Poster

If you find the price is a reasonable price for a used DSM, take a test sandwich quilt and go down and test drive the machine. I would also ask what type of warranty comes with the machine. I quilted all my quilts with a 7" throat that included the queen size quilt in my avatar. Good Luck.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:36 AM

Thanks everyone for your reply... I still don't know if this is the machine for me, I did go and look at it again and there is NO warranty on it, The man that services the machines said that when it came in as a trade in he went over with a fine tooth comb, so it should be a great used machine. I just think that they should give you some kind of warranty..so maybe I will look into some other machine.... I did see what thimblebug was talking about with the size of the throat space..and how low it is.. just so undecided on which machine to buy, this is really hard .. LOL Thanks again, I'll keep looking but if anyone knows of a different brand that is good for FMQ please ket me know
Old 02-04-2015, 03:13 PM

Since FMQ is your primary goal with this machine, I agree completely with taking a test sandwich. As well as at least a small quilt to work with. If the sample sandwich test goes ok, move on to the quilt test - even if it's just a throw away quilt for this purpose only. Some dog will love it!

If you are familiar with this particular dealer and/or tech, I would trust the tech's word as to reliability. Most used machines do not come with a warranty. Hence my earlier suggestion to negotiate on price. Personally I'd probably start about $350 and work my way up. They have all kinds of wiggle room on used machines. Especially if you are willing to walk away from it. I'm a cheap witch. I start very low and have my top price set in my mind - as long as I'm willing to walk away. If not - then I'm willing to pay whatever the final number ends up being.

Just my opinions.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:01 PM

Chasezzz ... I'm surprised to hear yours came with the walking foot... all the feet are extra here and I paid approx. $90 Cdn for mine. I already had a walking foot for my Lily 540 but because the Sapphire is built on an embroidery machine chassis (that's what the dealer told me).... the feed dogs are further apart and my older walking foot does not line up with the wider feed dogs.... So many things to consider....