Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The Village Idiot vs Bali Wedding Star Pattern >

The Village Idiot vs Bali Wedding Star Pattern

The Village Idiot vs Bali Wedding Star Pattern

Old 02-27-2014, 05:56 AM

Default The Village Idiot vs Bali Wedding Star Pattern

The Village Idiot vs. Bali Wedding Star Pattern (80"x80")

Little did I know how complicated this pattern would be. I have pieced the arcs and my first mistake may have been using five colors for the arcs instead of four. Each arc consists of shades of light to dark purple, maroon, green, blue and orange. The background colors I would like to use are off white, gold, light green, light blue. I am stymied when it comes to cutting and piecing the CDS and CMS blocks. I would like more of the off white for background than the other colors. I'm thinking the first thing I need to do is figure out the placement of each color and then figure out the backgrounds accordingly.
I have spent so much time and money already (which I'm beginning to regret) and am now afraid I am going to make a major blunder and ruin the whole thing. I do not have a class available so notes, pictures, diagrams, any and all advice would be truly appreciated. I have scoured the internet, you tube and old QB postings without much "how to do it" luck. I'm hoping the solution is not "forget about it" !! lol
Old 02-27-2014, 06:04 AM
Administrator

others will be able to offer more reliable advice if you post some photos (here in this thread) for their reference.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:13 AM

I have never done one so can't offer you advice. Keep plugging away. I am working on my own challenge quilt and it is just that! But every few days I attack it once more and it is getting slowly done. I work on some "mindless" things in between or my brain would go on overload. Yours will be worth it in the end as it is a truly beautiful pattern. Good luck.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:22 AM
Power Poster

If you gooogle the quilt name, there are pictures of finished quilts that might give you ideas for color placement.

From your desription, it seems like you are trying to use a lot of colors - maybe elminate the orange.?
Old 02-27-2014, 08:28 AM
Power Poster

If I understand correctly, you're having a problem deciding how to position your light colors in the spaces between the arcs? My advice is not to stress over it. Just start putting lights in randomly and you will probably wind up with an arrangement that is more creative and innovative than any you might design by planning each placement. (Of course I am a fan of scrappy quilts.) The unexpected subtle shift in color is what makes quilts interesting, in my opinion.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:35 AM

Maybe you should make a practice block or two first. Use scrap fabric in the similar colors so you can get a sense of how it will look.
Old 02-27-2014, 08:46 AM

Since you have pieced the arcs, maybe a picture would help us to understand it all more.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:08 AM

Luann Kessi has been letting us follow along on her Wedding Star on her blog. Go through her Wedding Star posts.
Old 02-27-2014, 12:08 PM
Power Poster

sounds like a fun quilt by the title. would love to see one, show us your blocks
Old 02-27-2014, 12:29 PM
Power Poster

I just went to bing to see this pattern and it directed me back here, does anyone have a pic of this