Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Vintage black Fleetwood machine >

Vintage black Fleetwood machine

Vintage black Fleetwood machine

Old 09-01-2011, 04:15 AM

A friend offered me machine in cabinet with accessories/no manual for $100. I know nothing about Fleetwood machines. Anyone have any comments? Thank you!
Old 09-01-2011, 06:35 AM

Unless the cabinet is especially wonderful, that's higher than I'd pay.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
Unless the cabinet is especially wonderful, that's higher than I'd pay.
Me too!!!!
Old 09-01-2011, 07:58 AM
Power Poster

I Googled Fleetwood sewing machine and looked at both web prices and images. If both the machine and cabinet are in great cosmetic condition, I would pay $100 even though that is in the high end of the range for me. Online the portable versions in good condition are advertised for $100 and up, so the cabinet and accessories should add some value. This is supposed to be a very good Japanese-made machine. I haven't watched it, but here is a Youtube video of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dIbmgnz4_g

If advertised, I doubt your friend could get more than $50 to $75 for the machine locally unless you live in an area where vintage machines sell well (they don't sell well in most areas).

Have you actually seen the machine and cabinet? I'm thinking it's not going to be worth $100 unless it's in really good cosmetic condition. You could perhaps let your friend know that you're not willing to pay $100 for a vintage machine. If she then tries to sell it on craigslist or elsewhere, she may find that they are harder to sell than she imagined and offer it to you for less.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:46 AM

Thank you for the comments. I think I will pass on it.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
I Googled Fleetwood sewing machine and looked at both web prices and images. If both the machine and cabinet are in great cosmetic condition, I would pay $100 even though that is in the high end of the range for me. Online the portable versions in good condition are advertised for $100 and up, so the cabinet and accessories should add some value. This is supposed to be a very good Japanese-made machine. I haven't watched it, but here is a Youtube video of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dIbmgnz4_g

If advertised, I doubt your friend could get more than $50 to $75 for the machine locally unless you live in an area where vintage machines sell well (they don't sell well in most areas).

Have you actually seen the machine and cabinet? I'm thinking it's not going to be worth $100 unless it's in really good cosmetic condition. You could perhaps let your friend know that you're not willing to pay $100 for a vintage machine. If she then tries to sell it on craigslist or elsewhere, she may find that they are harder to sell than she imagined and offer it to you for less.

If the machine is the same one as the video shows, I wouldn't pay more than $30-$40 in a table for it. Japanese clones are cool, but rather common and not in high demand unless they are the rarer pink, red, blue color combos. My opinion of course, but for $100 I'd rather get a vintage 301 or 401 Singer.