Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Vintage machines on quilting frames

Hi...I'm wondering if anyone is actually using a vintage sewing machine (I'm probably thinking an old Singer) on a quilting frame.

If so, what model machine have you got and is it successful? What size harp does your machine have and is it big enough? What doesn't work about the setup?

Hubby is thinking he could make me a frame and we wondered if a cheaper option would be to put an old Singer on it, rather than buy a modern machine. I don't know which model would be more suitable though. I don't think I really want to use my Horizon on it...I would rather have a dedicated machine.

I have seen a Singer stretched 201a on a frame it can be done however the throat size will limit what you can do.

Like Jade, I have seen them and read about stretched vintage machines....but from what I remember it is a very expensive thing to do.

Thank you...I did find a website showing the stretched machines...they look interesting. I don't know that there's anything like that in Australia

I have a pfaff 79 on a grace frame.It doesn't give but a 6inch quilting area but it works for me,till I can afford a longarm.