Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Virtual Quilting Weekend--5/27 - 5/30 >

Virtual Quilting Weekend--5/27 - 5/30

Virtual Quilting Weekend--5/27 - 5/30

Old 05-28-2016, 10:21 PM

Well you want believe it but after church instead of sewing I have to go fabric shopping. I'm doing a multicolour ' jungle patches' and I don't have any grey, pink or camel fabric. See you after that.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:50 AM

Dottymo, I believe you need to go shopping, it seems like I'm always missing at least one color from my intended project!

Rob, your shoulder feels better. Your log cabin looks great.

Gingerk, love the bag.

cmcnab, fantastic colors!

sewbizgirl, you've been very busy, and those are cute socks.

quiltingshortimer, can't wait to see your SAS.

RedGarnet22, love your log cabin. They must be the popular project to work on this weekend! I actually was thinking about doing one yesterday but reminded myself I had several other things to finish.

meyert, your Halloween projects are adorable. I think they've turned out great.

Jennifer23, very nice, is the quilt for you?

srdmomof3, impressive!
Old 05-29-2016, 04:20 AM

Such productivity over night! The projects are all lovely, and now I'm going to give myself a kick and get back into my sewing room so I have something to show you tonight.
Old 05-29-2016, 04:59 AM

Wow there are way too many beautiful projects in the works here to even mention them all. Great job everyone. I am hoping to head to my sewing room later today. We are having a campfire tonight so I probably won't get much sewing done tonight. I will post my project later.
I need to do some laundry and cleaning:-(
Old 05-29-2016, 05:05 AM

Jennifer23 and srdmomof3, your quilts are gorgeous! sewbizgirl, your quilts are also gorgeoous! I finished assembling the blocks for my MountainMajesties this week. Whew, I thought it would never end. Now that those blocks are done, I'll take a break to assemble another top that I've begun (that's the ADD in me). Those peaks were beginning to get to me. Sorrowfully, the only thing I've done quilty this weekend so far is to sort out scraps into strings and cut up scraps into squares.
Old 05-29-2016, 05:26 AM

I'm a bit late to the party! But I have been doing quilting related stuff the last two days. Now I get two days to sew!

Friday DH and I went to the Quilt Expo in Des Moines IA (5 hour drive for us). DH got to check out several different LA models, and I got to pick up some supplies I was after, and a nice selection of fabric.

First booth I headed for was HandiQuilter - as that was the only thing I had on my list of MUST GET items.

They have some new circle rulers, and I picked up a set of them that have the .5 size (so 3.5, 4.5, etc) I have a set for whole inch sizes. I'm going to love the bar rest - that way I can lift the top bar and get it out of the way for mounting the backing and batting. And I picked up another Glide foot - I love this foot, but the one I had was developing stress cracks - so they warrantied it for me. I also picked up more bobbins and some clips.

I picked up some marking tools I was after, and got some creative grid rulers that I can't get locally. I also picked up more bobbins for my Juki 2010, and some prefilled ones for my Pfaff that I got a good deal on.

and the fabric - this was a small show, but there was still so much neat fabric!

I fell in love over and over again, this was being sold by the designer - no idea what I'll do with it, but I love it!

This print was another that reached out and grabbed me - it's digitally printed (what ever that means). At another booth I picked up two 3 yard cuts of 108" wide backing - for less than $30 each after the discounts.

And some one yard cuts for $8 each

One booth had tubs of fat quarters with a volumn discount. I needed more neutrals so got them plus others that caught my eye.

I picked up one kit that I fell in love with.

We spent the night in Albert Lea MN, and headed into the Twin Cities MN the next day.

Along with several places DH wanted to go, we stopped at SR Harris in Burnsville. I picked up some lace pieces for a crazy quilt I'm working on, and DH got some leather scraps and camo fabric.

And then I got lost in the quilting fabric. I did need the white/gold, but the rest was just because I loved it! But at $6.50 a yard, what's not to love! I'd never been there before, but it will be on my list for any future trips to the area (we go a few times a year). It's kind of funny because I use to buy a lot from SR Harris 30 years ago when I did custom sewing.

I'm prewashing everything, and I think I'm going to work on getting caught up with my 365 block challenge.
Old 05-29-2016, 05:46 AM
Power Poster

Wow, Cathy, that's quite a haul of fabric and goodies! Your hubby sews too? I can't imagine the fun of a hubby who also loves to go fabric shopping....

GailG, cutting up your scraps is a great accomplishment. You'll be glad later that they are all ready to go when you need them.

My quilting group leader gave me several bags of scraps yesterday, so I have been going through and cutting too! I love scraps but they do take up a LOT of time.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:24 AM

Wow, everyone was very productive yesterday - thanks for all the great pictures!
My tuffet class went well, I got 3 of 8 panels finished and have 1 that I messed up - had a senior moment or something. LOL
I will post a picture after I unload my car. After the class I went to my son's home to pack for their upcoming move, and didn't get home until midnight!
Old 05-29-2016, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Rebecca_S View Post
I love the effect of the dotted fabrics in the bargello!

Yes! They give the illusion of lace! It's gorgeous!
Old 05-29-2016, 07:36 AM

Here's a picture of the baby blanket I started this weekend. This pattern went together really quickly!
The borders aren't attached yet and I'm undecided....
Whether to just put the white borders on, which means I can just continue my FMQ-ing of paisley all the way out to the edge, or to put a thin strip of colour border and then the white border? And which colour? I made this from scrap, so I would have to piece a skinny border from one of the fabrics that I have enough of...either the gold or the purple butterfly. With any of them, they are going to meet a block of their own colour around the outside, which I thought might be distracting, hence staying with the white borders.
What do you all think?
I was going to do a flange binding with the purple, so there will be a little colour border already when I do the binding.
Decisions, decisions....I'm going to the fabric store to try to find a variegated thread, so maybe I'll find something perfect.
Watson
[ATTACH=CONFIG]551138[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dscn8529_zpslyqt8ube.jpg  

Last edited by Watson; 05-29-2016 at 07:39 AM.