Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: vlok

Hi my name is Vickey. I am new to machine quilting. Does one need to lengthen the stitch so the stitches don't look so small or is it just me, not moving fast enough. I have lengthen the stitch a little and I tried using the quilt stitch on the machine but it still does not look right. I have a stitch regulator for my creative vision, but it is a pain to set up and take down.

Blog Entries
    I'm new also I have done 2 quilts with 1 quilt being hand quilted and the other machine quilted. I think your correct, but I will be curious to hear what the others have to say..

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Hi Vickey, Welcome to the board! :D

I think between 6-10 stitches per inch is recommended. You don't want to make so many stitches that your seam ripper won't fit! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by vlok
    Hi my name is Vickey. I am new to machine quilting. Does one need to lengthen the stitch so the stitches don't look so small or is it just me, not moving fast enough. I have lengthen the stitch a little and I tried using the quilt stitch on the machine but it still does not look right. I have a stitch regulator for my creative vision, but it is a pain to set up and take down.
    Welcome to the board.

The speed you move the fabric only impacts the stitch length if you are free motion quilting (FMQ) with your feed dogs down and a darning foot. If you have the feed dogs up in their normal position, they control the speed your fabric is pulled through the machine. If your stitch regulator is like mine, it is used for FMQ ing and helps to keep your stitches more even because it adjusts the speed of your needle with the speed you are moving your fabric. Check your owners manual.

Welcome to the board from Southern California!!!

Blog Entries
    i prefer a longer stitch too. setting depends on your machine

I am free motion quilting or trying. Feed dogs are down. I will try a longer stitch. It has been awhile since I used the FAB U Motion but will try it and see if there is a diff. I have a baby quilt I would like to quilt by April. I was hoping if I practice daily for a hour might help. If not then I will tie the quilt off. I could hand quilt humm, yep I might just go ahead and do that.
    Work weekends, so will have to wait until Monday.

Oh Thanks every one for replying and HI to you all.
    Cold here in Michigan

A big welcome from East Texas.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast