Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
VP not attending meetings >

VP not attending meetings

VP not attending meetings

Old 03-02-2015, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
I do not belong to a quilting guild but I do belong to a fire company auxiliary. I have held every office except VP for a total longer-running period than any other member of the organization in it's history (over 100 yrs). I do not say this to pat myself on the back, just as background. I do not know if quilting guilds generally are much different from other charitable organizations so if there are guild-specifics of which I am unaware, I apologize.

I agree with Jan in that your organization should have some sort of by-laws where officers' absences are addressed. I also agree with the poster who suggested having a conversation with the offending officer prior to discussion at a meeting.

In our auxiliary we have had 'personnel issues' as well. We do have by-laws addressing the above (as well as other) situation specifically but I also believe it is addressed in Robert's Rules of Order - which is our defined default if an issue is not specified in our by-laws. What we have done with a similarly inclined person (non-officer) in our organization, was to have an Executive Board meeting to discuss the issue and potential resolutions. A formal letter was then sent to the offending party, outlining the behaviors that were found to be unacceptable, and a request for a face-to-face meeting with that person and the E-board. That meeting and it's result were never discussed during an open membership meeting.

Did that meeting resolve the issue? For a short period of time. That member is still a royal pain in the butt. It did, however, leave the opening for further actions on the auxiliary's part to deal with the problem.

Just my suggestion.
In order for a quilt guild to keep it's tax exempt status, Bylaws and Standing Rules are a requirement.
Old 03-02-2015, 10:17 PM

As a member of a large quild with many different personalities, I second (pun intended) that your group consider developing some by-laws regarding officers, elections, etc. Our guild has referred back to our by-laws on several occasions--when it's there in writing, it make the "answer" easy to decide and enforce.

I do hope you nix the idea bringing it up in the meetings with or without her being there. Both would put her in a very hurtful position. If the consensus among the officers is to deal with her absence before your Nov. elections, I'd suggest that a couple of you meet with her privately and express your concerns AND offer her a face-saving way out. If that doesn't work then you need to wait until Nov. since you have no by-laws (and recourse, other than being cruel). You mention both that she has the key to the church you meet at--it might be wise to ask the church for another key since she isn't able to attend meetings. And also that she doesn't drive due to no car--is it possible that she feels uncomfortable always asking for rides? or that the reason she's always there for free fabric is that she can not afford to quilt otherwise? As a mental health professional, it sounds to me that this woman truly wants to remain involved, but because of health reasons--both mental and/or physical, she isn't able to be actively involved. If her position is not vital to the functioning of the Guild, then I would try kindness and understanding first.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:04 AM

As president of the group you are in a position to get the group better organized. This will make lots of things better & serve the group well.

Rather than pointing out her default, use a couple of meetings to pass simple by-laws. Even dues like a dollar a month, material collecting & storage, etc. once the rules are in place - including consequences, let everyone start fresh. If she doesn't abide by the rules, institute the consequences. Perhaps she could have a title of founding member & not expected to attend.

I can't drive so I have to ask for rides. I find I'm lots more eager to go if someone calls & volunteers to take me.

I would get some ideas for organizing by reading by-laws of other groups on the internet. Perhaps there is something there that only needs tweeking.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by nstitches4u View Post
In order for a quilt guild to keep it's tax exempt status, Bylaws and Standing Rules are a requirement.
with only 6-12 members I'd deep six the whole idea of officers and meet somewhere else. Many businesses have meeting rooms available to the public at no charge, I know a bank here and the PUD electric co does. Does the apartment bldg where your members live have a meeting room? Many small groups here on the board use the library.

Forget the guild idea, it is not just something to call yourselves, there are specific rules and regulations and tax considerations and the government involved. Do you gather to run a business, or to quilt?
Old 03-03-2015, 10:18 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by KalamaQuilts View Post
with only 6-12 members I'd deep six the whole idea of officers and meet somewhere else. Many businesses have meeting rooms available to the public at no charge, I know a bank here and the PUD electric co does. Does the apartment bldg where your members live have a meeting room? Many small groups here on the board use the library.

Forget the guild idea, it is not just something to call yourselves, there are specific rules and regulations and tax considerations and the government involved. Do you gather to run a business, or to quilt?
I agree with this.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:23 AM

I would contact her by phone and ask her if she thinks she should step down. Life happens, and if she is too ill to attend, then maybe she should do the stepdown. This way she has a way to feel that it is her decision. Then be sure that you cover this issue in the future with a bylaw