Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wal Mart Markdowns >

Wal Mart Markdowns

Wal Mart Markdowns

Old 02-10-2011, 08:34 AM

I stopped into Wal Mart here in Washington last night and found that they were closing out the fabric dept. Hate to loose them, but mark downs of 75% to 90% I quickly filled a cart. Now, how to sneak all of it into the house. Most of the cotton was $1.13 per yard.

I got some printed fleece for .83 cent a yard.

Boy was the back of my car full..... I think I got about 50+ yards
Old 02-10-2011, 08:35 AM
Power Poster

WOW!! Great prices :D:D:D
Sorry to hear that they are closing it down :(
Old 02-10-2011, 08:38 AM

Sorry to hear that but it happened to us a few years ago.
Go back and get some more.
Just bring a bag or two in every time you buy groceries. My dh sleeps late so I usually bring mine in when I come back from taking dd to school or on days when he's gone to fly RC airplanes. Luckily we have separate cars.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by tess10
I stopped into Wal Mart here in Washington last night and found that they were closing out the fabric dept. Hate to loose them, but mark downs of 75% to 90% I quickly filled a cart. Now, how to sneak all of it into the house. Most of the cotton was $1.13 per yard.

I got some printed fleece for .83 cent a yard.

Boy was the back of my car full..... I think I got about 50+ yards
Where in Washington? I live in Spokane area and they are not closing it out.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:51 AM
Cyn

Great way to make something positive out of a negative!
Old 02-10-2011, 08:53 AM
Power Poster

When Walmart closed down the fabric dept. I didn't buy as much fabric as I did the basics. I bought whole bolts of the basics like muslin, Warm and Natural batting, fusible webs and the items I knew would be hard to find cheap like cotton ticking, canvas, Insulbrite, and needlework cloth. If you use the thread buy it, patterns especially the craft patterns, bias and trims, elastic, zippers, etc. It's the little things that when aren't available will zing you with cost later.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:02 AM

This was the store in Maple Valley/Covington.... Can't really go back since I whipped out everything good. Wish they were marking down supplies, but they were not. No threads, sundries etc. on sale just fabric only. They said that they may keep fabric, but unsure at this point so bosses said clear it all out.

Wish I had stopped in sooner there were not solids, muslin, or solids left.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:04 AM

It seems that Wal-Mart might be trying to correct a few mistakes. In central Michigan they have closed out two fabric depts. in the last two years and are currently closing another one that is about 1/2 mile from the best quilt shop in lower Michigan. Meanwhile they are expanding one and putting one back, right in a rural and Amish area. Two of them were in upscale areas and not well staffed by WalMart. I suspect more than a few problems stem from poor attitudes of management toward shoppers. They don't seem to make the connection between poor service = fewer customers = fewer sales = lower profits.
The store that us actually upgrading their fabric dept. has knowledgable, friendly staff, etc. The one that is closing almost never has staff visible in the fabric area and it often takes 20 min. to get them to find someone. That's what you get from "too many chiefs and not enough indians".
Old 02-10-2011, 10:12 AM

Wow! Way to go. And I've been reading threads about WM bringing fabric back. Our little WM has more now than ever. Sorry, maybe it will be back in a few months.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:27 AM

Wow!! You got some incredible bargains! My hubby never seems to notice when new fabric comes to live with us. But how to explain the new laptop I bought yesterday! :oops: That's going to be tricky! :mrgreen: