Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Walking foot alternatives? >
  • Walking foot alternatives?

• Walking foot alternatives?

Old 02-06-2016, 07:14 AM

I am having problems too finding a walking foot for my high shank Kenmore so thanks for the leads mentioned by
    elnan because I have ordered 2 that were not correct although Sears said they were the ones. I need to keep trying .
    Old 02-06-2016, 07:33 AM

Have you checked the Singer web site? They have a contact form for emailed questions and may be able to help you. Also with a Kenmore. I emailed Singer about oiling and cleaning my machine since the manual did not contain any directions, and they responded in a few days (the instructions were in another model manual, and it was on the web so I did not have to buy it). They were prompt and helpful.
    Old 02-06-2016, 09:12 AM
    Power Poster

Without the walking foot, I think slowing down the sewing speed will help. As long as the sandwich is nice and taut, and well secured there shouldn't be much room for shifting.
    Old 02-06-2016, 09:22 AM

Here is a quick free fix for not having a walking foot. Simply lift the fabric along the seam just a scooch off the surface of the machine as you sew the seam. The push/pull of the feed dogs cannot distort the seam this way. I just lift it a fingers width up, only letting the fabric touch down just before it goes under the needle. I do this all the time with sewing long strips together, works every time. As I get to the last few inches I just adjust and pinch together the bottom edges making sure they line up, or use your stiletto to make sure they go under the needle correctly. I was taught this trick while being taught to sew on a treadle long ago. While I have a walking foot I usually only need it when quilting, as I am too impatient to switch out feet while going a mile a minute with my piecing.