Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walking foot alternatives? >

Walking foot alternatives?

Walking foot alternatives?

Old 02-04-2016, 04:08 AM

Default Walking foot alternatives?

As I understand it, a walking foot's purpose is to preserve the alignment of the fabric sandwich as it passes under the needle, i.e., not push the top layer of fabric forward as a standard foot tends to do. Try as I might, I haven't been able to find a walking foot attachment for my Singer 31-15 (tailor's machine). I'd like to take advantage of its larger throat space to stitch the layers of a big quilt I'm making. Would a roller foot be better? Suggestions?
Old 02-04-2016, 04:28 AM

I know someone who makes beautiful quilts with a roller foot.

My machine uses a relatively obscure expensive walking foot so I tried the roller foot. I wan't able to get good results with it. I was told to fiddle with the presser foot pressure. I finally gave up on that and bought a darning foot. I tried FMQ, discovered I was good at it and I haven't looked back. I only FMQ now.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:18 AM
Power Poster

Lots and lots of pins.
I would also post over on the vintage forum. Someone may know of a walking foot that might fit.

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 02-04-2016 at 05:21 AM.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Lots and lots of pins.
I would also post over on the vintage forum. Someone may know of a walking foot that might fit.
Good idea. A while ago, I was on a mission to find a walking foot and thought I had exhausted the possibilities of who might know about one that would fit. BUT - it's been a couple of months and time for another try. I'm surprised the 31-15 isn't more commonly used for FMQ. It's bigger than a domestic, easy to find at a good price, attachments are incredibly easy to find (absent the walking foot, for some reason) and just about the toughest, most durable machine made. Put it on a treadle with the big (16") flywheel and WOW.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Manalto View Post
I'm surprised the 31-15 isn't more commonly used for FMQ. It's bigger than a domestic, easy to find at a good price, attachments are incredibly easy to find (absent the walking foot, for some reason) and just about the toughest, most durable machine made. Put it on a treadle with the big (16") flywheel and WOW.
Gee, maybe I should consider owning one. Does it take readily available bobbins, needles and the like?
Old 02-04-2016, 07:32 AM

Not knowing what a 31-15 looks like, I googled it and learned it is a high shank machine. Sewingpartsonline.com has a high shank walking foot for $79.95 plus S&H. The number is XA7253001. Amazon.com has the same foot for about $10 less. You might find one at a better price somewhere else. They are often referred to as a plaid matcher.

It looks like there are more walking feet for super high shank machines than for high shank ones. The only high and super high shank machines I am familiar with are old Kenmores.

Last edited by elnan; 02-04-2016 at 07:43 AM.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:44 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Lots and lots of pins.
If this is an older Singer, I would certain repost over at the Vintage section.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by KenmoreGal2 View Post
Gee, maybe I should consider owning one. Does it take readily available bobbins, needles and the like?
Yes. Because it's considered an industrial machine, parts are readily available and cheap. I got a replacement graduated slide plate, standard foot and six bobbins for under $5 from a supplier in California. It takes a different needle from the standard 15X1, but they're commonly available online. The 31-15 was made for decades, so there are plenty of them out there. Mine is from 1916, so it has no stitch-length calibration marks and no reverse. It's astonishing how quickly those features become unimportant. It has a knee-lift presser foot, a great feature for FMQ.

elnan, I did buy a high-shank walking foot for mine and it doesn't work. That's why I was looking for someone who has had experience with a specific foot that can confirm its functionality.
Old 02-06-2016, 04:34 AM

I also have trouble with my walking foot pushing the top fabric forward. I have; however, had success using my normal sewing foot when I straight line quilt.
Old 02-06-2016, 07:05 AM

My new epic came with a walking foot. It was recommended to try it when sewing on binding. It does work better as everything stays right in line. I have walking feet for two other machines but rarely use them. If it works so beautifully on this gem....then I may try the other ones with their feet. Of course that means I would be sewing on another machine.....don't think I will sew on anything but epic for the rest of my time!!,