Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Walking Foot Headache

I'm trying to learn to machine quilt and have only tried straight line quilting with my walking foot so far. What throws me is that the needle is off to the right of the walking foot center (the narrow slot between the two prongs of the foot). I can't use that narrow slot as my guide because the needle doesn't line up with it, and the needle is almost invisible because it's so far back in the foot. Certainly other people have found a solution considering how many quilts are machine quilted! Anyone have any hints which will keep my sewing machine chugging along?

If you can't move your needle position to line up with the center of the walking foot, just take a fine line permanent marker and mark the needle position on the front edge of the walking foot.

Yep, if you can't move the needle position I'd be drawing a line on the foot too.

What a great idea. I have been trying to eyeball it. (that hasn't been working. ) Wouldn't it be great if they were clear so we could see what is going on back there. I can wish I guess.

I can't imagine that your machine won't switch to center position...did you check your manual or check with a person at a local shop? A friend had this problem and found that she had set the machine up for a different stitch and when she pushed the correct button, the needle came back to center.

Quote Originally Posted by littlehud
    What a great idea. I have been trying to eyeball it. (that hasn't been working. ) Wouldn't it be great if they were clear so we could see what is going on back there. I can wish I guess.
    That is a great idea....maybe you are on to a new product :lol:

That's funny, my walking foot does a silly side maneuver on the up. It used to really throw me off, because I'd watch it. Mine does come down in the center though. Yep, get the sharpie out!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea
    I'm trying to learn to machine quilt and have only tried straight line quilting with my walking foot so far. What throws me is that the needle is off to the right of the walking foot center (the narrow slot between the two prongs of the foot). I can't use that narrow slot as my guide because the needle doesn't line up with it, and the needle is almost invisible because it's so far back in the foot. Certainly other people have found a solution considering how many quilts are machine quilted! Anyone have any hints which will keep my sewing machine chugging along?
    I have the exact same problem ... I've just gotta find those darn pens I know I have them here somewhere :)

Blog Entries
    I bought this and it's been great for machine quilting with the walking foot. I paid $20 for it at Walmart thinking I'd be returning it but and it's been worth it just to get splinters out of DGD's finger and feet. It has two bright lights too. LOL

http://www.simplicity.com/p-5219-cc-...magnifier.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    I bought this and it's been great for machine quilting with the walking foot. I paid $20 for it at Walmart thinking I'd be returning it but and it's been worth it just to get splinters out of DGD's finger and feet. It has two bright lights too. LOL

http://www.simplicity.com/p-5219-cc-...magnifier.aspx
    looks like a great idea.. never seen them here in Australia tho .. nothing unusual there ... lots of things we never get here

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast