Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: walking foot & J - foot?

I have a Brother XR 9000 sewing machine. I want to try QAYG and to use the stippling stitch on this sewing machine. The book that came with the machine says to use the J - foot. But I was wondering if I could use the walking foot instead to help with the thickness of the quilt sandwich? Does anyone know if this is OK to do? I don't want to break a needle or mess up my machine.

When I do stippling, I use a darning foot. The walking foot would not allow you to move the fabric under the needle and get the stippling patterns going.

Quote Originally Posted by LoisN
    When I do stippling, I use a darning foot. The walking foot would not allow you to move the fabric under the needle and get the stippling patterns going.
    I have a free motion quilting foot. Is that the same as a darning foot? And do I lower the feed dogs or keep them up?

Blog Entries
    Yes a darning foot and FMQ foot are the same :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    most people put the dogs down to do their freemotion quilting.

Gal
    I am just learning to do this to, I also have a brother machine, I think you can use your walking foot if you do straight lines eg. stitch in the ditch. I am about to find out!

Gal

Quote Originally Posted by Gal
    I am just learning to do this to, I also have a brother machine, I think you can use your walking foot if you do straight lines eg. stitch in the ditch. I am about to find out!

Gal
    Hi Gal, On my brother there are built in stitches and there is one called stippling. The book says it's for quilting. I have figured out that I should use the darning/free motion foot, but I did try the built in stippling stitch (it's # 49 on my machine) with the j foot on a scrap piece of material. The design is so small that I cannot see how it would be for quilting. I'm new to quilting & I've only had this machine since the beginning of March. Thanks for your info.

Blog Entries
    I have the XR9000, and have wondered the same thing.

When I stippled with that it was wayyyy miniscule. I thought I could use it for filler on some small blocks, but, boy, it would take lots of time.

Let me know...

When I FMQ I use my darning foot. To do straight lines I use my walking foot.

Quote Originally Posted by purplemem
    I have the XR9000, and have wondered the same thing.

When I stippled with that it was wayyyy miniscule. I thought I could use it for filler on some small blocks, but, boy, it would take lots of time.

Let me know...
    It was just too small for what I wanted to do. So, I put my fmq foot on and did the wandering stipple thing that I always do. I've been trying to learn the fmq with this machine. And was really stupid to try to do a queen sized quilt with my first try...don't know what I was thinking...ha. Anyway, I pieced & quilted my first block for my first try at quilt as you go. It was much easier than the queen size. I wish that this machine had a large throat to roll up the sides of the quilt when I quilt them. But, maybe some day I'll be able to get a mid-arm machine. I can always dream! When you did the #49 stipple stitch, did you use the j foot or the darning foot? And did you leave the dog feed up or down? I think it would be good to use as a filler in some small area.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast