Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walking foot not feeding? >

Walking foot not feeding?

Walking foot not feeding?

Old 10-14-2009, 05:11 AM

Are you sure you got the right foot for your machine? Check the shank you screw in the feet to. Lower the foot lever, then with a scrap piece of fabric, see if you can pull the fabric out from between the walking foot and the feed dogs. If it pulls freely out you likely have the wrong foot for the machine.

Can you get in touch with the company you bought from to see if they will stand behind it?

I don't always use my bar on the walking foot. I only use it occasionally so try using the foot without the bar, try moving the bar closer or farther away from the foot itself to see if it's hanging up on something.

Sure hope you can figure this out because it's the best foot in the world when it works right.

Hugs,
Sharon
Old 10-14-2009, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by bluebird
Not sure if this will be any help. Is there a bar that is loose at the top of the walking foot? If so, this bar has to go over something on your needle attachment, it will go up and down with the needle. It makes the walking foot walk, I think :oops: Sometimes it doesn't want to cooperate when it is being attached. Can you post a picture of the foot? Hope this helps.

Welcome to the board, you will love it :D
the bar goes over the needle screw and shes right it makes the foot advance...overwise don't know sorry
Old 10-14-2009, 07:26 AM

I don't use the spacer bars on my walking foot either, tried to take a picture but really can't get it to show clearly. However, I watched the plastic white teeth and they stay at the "back" rather than move up to the front as the foot feeds the fabric through. Also one thing they mentioned when I bought mine, without any fabric under the foot, drop it down to the feeddogs and do they match up? Because some of the older walking feet like for my Lily 540 are narrow, but the foot still fits my Sapphire 870 but doesn't work properly because the 870 has a wider spread between the feed dogs of the machine. Just a thought....also I'll show you the fuzzy pictures in case there's anything there that might just look similar.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-5108.jpe   attachment-5111.jpe  
Old 10-14-2009, 09:55 AM
Power Poster

If you have a pressure knob at the top of your machine check to see if the pressure of the foot is enough. My grand turned the knob all the way loose on my machine and it took me forever to figure out what was wrong. I keep forgetting about that knob. Your machine being new it probably has auto pressure. I would get a generic walking foot to fit your shank height and try that before buying another expensive walking foot to be sure it's the foot not an operator error.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:54 AM

Sounds to me like you have the wrong Walking Foot. Maybe your dealer would help you to find the correct one. Walking feet have to fit the feed dogs to work. Yours may be a generic foot.

Quilter41
Old 10-15-2009, 06:56 AM

WOW!
THree items: Are the feed dogs up on your sewing machine?
THat pressure on the foot thing sounds like a real winner for a solution.
One of my machines has a button that pushes up or down, and then has a ring that is turned to add more ...
and, do the foot parts match the feed dogs ...
Those are three things I would have never thought to consider.
Such a helpful bunch of quilters! Cool .... <wave>
Old 10-15-2009, 07:27 AM

I bought my walking foot from the ad below:
"Ordering infor for walking foot for Singer slant machine by QuiltBug.

This is a copy of the ad on the internet:
Click here to order the Even Feed Singer Slant Walking Foot for $12.50 (For Singer Slant machines only)

We do not accept returns on sewing machine feet""

I have a wonderful old Singer 201A slat machine - guess what - the foot doesn't work and true to their ads, they do not refund on purchases of "feet" even it their ad seems to be erroneous.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:28 AM

That shoud be "401A" Singer 1958 model
Old 10-15-2009, 02:33 PM

I have a Brother ULT-2001 and I needed an extension to go on the presser bar before I could attach the walking foot. Sound familiar?? I have tried to attach it without and it just doesn't work. Hope this helps. I know how frustrating this must be for you. :(