Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Walking Foot Question

Blog Entries
    That's the beauty of having more than one machine....I keep my walking foot on one of my Vikings all the time. Each machine is used for a specific job, one has the 1/4" foot, one is used just for embroidery, one is used for bobbin-winding and specific thread colors, etc. Saves me lots of time.

Super Member pumpkinpatchquilter's Avatar
    I don't use my walking foot much to be honest. It's big and bulky and I'm too cheap to buy one with a quarter inch guide! Lol* I find if I starch well that I don't really need it for most projects that I do.
    Valerie Smith - Pumpkin Patch Quilter
    Obsessed Quilter and APQS Long Arm Machine Quilter
    www.pumpkinpatchquilter.com

I only use mine for straight line quilting and sewing on the binding. Otherwise I don't use it.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    I agree that the Pfaff with its built in walking foot is very nice, I use that feature on mine with general sewing because of the even feed. However...... I don't sew on my Pfaff for quilting much. I'm hooked on my Vintage Ladies and I piece with them more often. I do not use the walking foot until I get to a place in the process to need it like quilting or binding. I've broken one walking foot. Too expensive to use all the time if you have to replace them.
    To make lots of quilts, is to have lots of scraps, and I do, and I do.
    BarbaraSue

I leave mine on all the time. Haven't seen any need to change it out. Seems to make everything feed more evenly. Of course I don't do any fancy quilting yet either. Works fine on gentle curves.
    The quarter inch foot I got wasn't! So I just figured out where on the screw that holds the face plate on was a quarter inch and go by that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jo C View Post
    I guess i'm the oddball. I leave it on and it pieces just fine. I guess i'm just too lazy to change the feet!
    You're not the only one .... I forgot and left mine on and found it worked just fine. In fact, I do better with the 1/4" seam with the walking foot on as I use specific parts on the foot as my sewing guide.
    Learning something new everyday from all of you.

Wish I had one that was on automatically. I love using it but it is tiresome switching back and forth. Didn't know there was a machine that had one built in!

Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    The joys of a Pfaff. It's built in and I use it all the time.

Me too.

My new machine is a Babylock Crescendo. The walking foot is huge and must be plugged into the machine for the machine's computer to operate. I don't use it often because the Crescendo seems to feed both layers evenly--even when quilting straight lines.

I have the built in on my Janome and I use it most of the time.

I just used mine for the 1st. time. I love it. I wished I would have tried it out sooner. I need to heed more to what I learn on here. You guys are a wealth of knowledge.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast