Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Walking foot >

Walking foot

Walking foot

Old 02-25-2011, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by ranger
I use my walking foot for straight line stitching. I have always used the straight stitch setting on my machine. Someone told me that I can also use the zigzag stitch with this foot. Have any of you done this? I don't want to break the foot but would like to try the zigzag.
I have a small Brother machine and I bought the foot separately so there's no info in the manual.
Thanks.
I have used my walking foot for all kinds of stiches. I have never had a problem. The store where I purchased my machine said I shouldn't do it, but I do! It turns out great; even the zig zag stich. I have a Baby Lock Allure. Maybe it is the machine. I do recommend that you try the stitch first to make sure it does not hit anywhere.
Diane
Old 02-27-2011, 02:23 AM

I use mine just fine with zigzagging and other fancy stitches. My feeddog doesn't work right now, so I'm using the walking foot all the time. Just finished with a buttonhole stitch to applique some fan blades onto the background fabric and it worked great.

Best to check your instructions, but if you have a wide throat (place for the needle to go down), you should be able to zig zag as well. You won't break it, but the needle will break if you don't.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:27 AM

I use my walking foot for all the decorative stitches on my machine, works great on the 3 layers when ready to quilt. No puckering.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:39 AM

I use my walking foot just like any other foot. Had never heard until today that you can't or shouldn't do reverse. Do it all the time. As I said in another place here on the board, "it's just a foot the machine does the reverse. Not sure what others do but I have 3 Janome machines and use the walking foot on 2 of them all the time. My 10000 machine I just use for embroidery but can use it for sewing if the need arose. I like piecing with it on as the fabric feeds evenly. I've also done fancy stitches as part of quilting.