Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wall hanging for outside? >

Wall hanging for outside?

Wall hanging for outside?

Old 06-02-2008, 06:09 AM

I'm always hanging items outside on my patio. If you leave it out to long, the fabric will eventually start fading. So I trade mine out several times thruout the summer. I always have something hanging on my door!! Its so cheery!!
Old 06-02-2008, 06:26 AM

I found the article and the woman just used normal quilting stuff. She just hung it on the shady side of her house and took it in every night. Too much work if you ask me!
Old 06-02-2008, 06:32 PM

What a great idea - an outside wall hanging! Cool!

If you used painter's drop cloth, would that work? They come in about 10 to 20 feet for a section and they're really inexpensive! They're medium- thick cotton ( I think) so you should be able to dye or paint it. You could use the same method as making a floor cloth, that's should help against mold and mildew, layer it with another treated drop-cloth, and then quilt it with something that won't rot in the light - I can't think of anything off the top of my head here!

It would be unique, and durable, and dyeing is not too hard... it's an afternoon's work preparing the fabric but pennies compared to using quilting fabric! You'd be able to leave it outside all the time then as well!

Just a thought...

http://www.netw.com/~rafter4/floorcloth.htm

http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/dc_floors_cloths_mats/article/0,1793,HGTV_3411_1389538,00.html
Old 06-03-2008, 07:30 AM

http://www.textilearts.net/features/ideas/quiltforoutdoors.php

Here's an idea for making one. Hope this helps.

Sondra
Old 06-03-2008, 07:41 PM

Wow, leave it to Sondray to find a link like that!!!!!! :lol: That is the most interesting quilt I have ever seen - and it is beautiful too. I would have never thought of cling film as a medium. Too cool.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:43 AM

Why not paint a quilt pattern on to canvas then put a sealer on it, just a thought
Old 03-26-2011, 07:28 AM

I did this, and it's been up on my porch for about two years, through Wisconsin winters and summers. It's faded a bit, but not too bad. I used the fabrics that I didn't want to use for "real" quilts - some poly blends, dated small-scale calicos, etc. The poly blends actually work quite well, because they don't fade as quickly. I think I used an old mattress pad for the batting and some ugly remnant on the back. It's not going to be an heirloom. I didn't even expect it to last this long. I was digging through boxes of fabrics last night, looking for something new. I got lots of rave reviews from the neighbors at first, but they are probably tired of looking at that one. Time to make a fresh one!
Old 03-26-2011, 07:33 AM

I do this - the quilts hang over a bench by the door but are protected by an overhang. I don't do batting and usually don't put as much quilting as usual in them. I usually find fabric at Walmart for them because the sun fades them easily. Most are seasonal and I also have done a pineapple and a big smily face sun. I did some panels of Disney characters when the grandkids were little and they loved that. You may do a lot of different things. Just remember if it's meant to be seen from the street (as mine are) the design has to be a bit larger than you would usually make.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:41 AM

Maybe use outdoor fabrics, I think it would last a bit longer for you that way, and should already be weather resistant. Cannot wait to see what you come up with :)
Old 03-26-2011, 01:43 PM

Mine is on a screen porch, so it's pretty protected. It does get snow on it during really big snows and rain if the wind is blowing that direction.

I used a sleeve on each end with dowels in each, to keep it hanging smoothly in windy weather.