Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
wall hanging? >

wall hanging?

wall hanging?

Old 06-26-2011, 08:43 AM

How do I make a quilt into a wall hanging? I have a small sampler quilt from my beginners class I'd like to hang but don't know where to start.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:50 AM

You stitch a sleeve onto the back. This is a fabric 'tube' into which you can slide a pole and then hang it like curtains on a pole.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:53 AM
Power Poster

Here ya go :D:D:D
http://www.quiltingboard.com/search....torials&u=&s=0

http://www.quiltingboard.com/search....torials&u=&s=0
Old 06-26-2011, 09:06 AM

and if you have a Christmas Tree Shops near you, you can get drapery/curtain rods for super cheap. :) And they look awesome hanging up!
Old 06-26-2011, 09:09 AM

For a wall hanging I use the curtain/cafe clips that clip onto the fabric and use a curtain rod sized to the space I want to hang it on.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:56 AM

Depending on how you want it to look, you can also do it super simple (and cheap) by just hand stitching a roman shade ring to the back a few inches in from either side, and below the edge. I use this frequently and it works great. I needed it especially for the ones I hang in our local library, since they are hung on a concrete wall and I'm using the stick up hooks to display. My wallhanging quilts are lightweight and around 34" square so I placed the rings about 3" in on either side and made sure they were taut between the hooks so it didn't flop in the center. I know this isn't the most proper hanging technique but it does work.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-217040.jpe   attachment-217060.jpe  
Old 06-26-2011, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by peggymunday
Depending on how you want it to look, you can also do it super simple (and cheap) by just hand stitching a roman shade ring to the back a few inches in from either side, and below the edge. I use this frequently and it works great. I needed it especially for the ones I hang in our local library, since they are hung on a concrete wall and I'm using the stick up hooks to display. My wallhanging quilts are lightweight and around 34" square so I placed the rings about 3" in on either side and made sure they were taut between the hooks so it didn't flop in the center. I know this isn't the most proper hanging technique but it does work.
Wow! That is beautiful!
Old 06-26-2011, 08:47 PM

wow that's great! where do you get those hooks? I think I might do that!
Old 06-27-2011, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by wannaquilt1
You can find them with the drapery accessories in Hancock Fabrics, and in Walmart with the sewing supplies. They're about 5/8" they're made of plastic. I buy them in bulk from Atlanta Thread and Supply (1000 in box) to use for making roman shades.

Oops, I just re-read that and you said HOOKS - you mean the plastic hang up hooks - you can find them just about anywhere. They're from 3M and called Command Brand hooks. They work on just about anything and no holes. They have a sticky base that removes with no mess just by pulling on the bottom of the strip - "Damage-Free Hanging".
Old 06-27-2011, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by wannaquilt1
You can find them with the drapery accessories in Hancock Fabrics, and in Walmart with the sewing supplies. They're about 5/8" they're made of plastic. I buy them in bulk from Atlanta Thread and Supply (1000 in box) to use for making roman shades.

Oops, I just re-read that and you said HOOKS - you mean the plastic hang up hooks - you can find them just about anywhere. They're from 3M and called Command Brand hooks. They work on just about anything and no holes. They have a sticky base that removes with no mess just by pulling on the bottom of the strip - "Damage-Free Hanging".
oh i'm sorry no i did mean those little ring things. I'm excited I'm gonna get some to try that and I will get those command hooks. I was going to use nails but those hooks are a better idea thank you!