Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
WalMart and Fabric... A Come Back??! >

WalMart and Fabric... A Come Back??!

WalMart and Fabric... A Come Back??!

Old 08-05-2011, 10:03 PM

OK so this isn't so new of a subject but I was looking over some old topics and ran across the WalMart deal. Well, I decided to write the corporate office. I told them I'd probably get ignored and whatever but at least I tried! Well, I got a real reply!! Here it is... Let me know what you make of it!!

Dear Kathy
Thank you for your recent inquiry regarding the fabric department in your local
store. We are bringing products back in stores to respond to customers' desire
for a "one-stop shopping" experience. Our broadened merchandise assortment is
based on their direct feedback about the products they want and need. This
initiative includes bringing cut fabric back to select stores beginning in the
last half of this year (2011).

Cut fabric will return to select stores as relevant, and stores who maintained
offering cut fabric will continue to do so. In those stores where cut fabric is
being added back, merchandise commonly referred to as 'notions' will be expanded
in the product offerings - such as sewing machines, yarn, needles, thread, etc.

Sincerely,
Walmart Customer Care

I simply told them that is smaller towns we have our Walmart but have to drive way to far away to JoAnns, Hancocks and Hobby Lobby to do any kind of fabric shopping and we'd much rather spend the money shopping in their stores buying what we need and want instead of spending it in gas! Also that with the economy as it is we quilters are a growing number and a lot of do this for our families as gifts as well as a nessessity. Well anyway, I let them know what "WE" thought dadgumit! Hope it helps and they stick to their word!! Amen! (I'm done preaching now) :wink: :mrgreen:
Old 08-05-2011, 10:08 PM

Good for you. I am lucky to have a Walmart in the nearest town 5 miles away that still has the fabric. It doesn't have as much as the stores used to have but I still get some of the new fabric when it comes in.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:08 PM
Google Goddess

yes, the Walmarts are bring back fabrics
Old 08-06-2011, 02:37 AM

Our Walmart is clearing out their precut packages of fabrics so I hope we'll go back to our old fabric department. The packages are half price, by the way.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:49 AM

Yes, our WalMart has added fabric back in. Now they just need to keep someone there to cut for you, instead of having to track someone down.
Old 08-06-2011, 03:08 AM

Awesome! I know that some WM's are adding it back. We have a bunch of Walmarts in town - seriously, like 6 within driving distance to my house - but only one lost the fabric department - sadly it is the closest one to me and the one that had the best fabric department :'( The next one with a full fabric department doesn't sell groceries so I don't go there since I do prefer to do a one stop shop... I haven't bought any fabric from WM since they did away with my department... I keep hoping they will get it back. We'll see...
Old 08-06-2011, 04:08 AM

Walmart is suffering a 2.6% decline in store traffic, that's 82.8 million fewer visitors from Feb to June. They are trying to rebuild customer levels by bringing back 8,500 items that were cut in 2009 "to eliminate clutter" and by taking other small steps like the recent price matching campaign.

According to Bloomberg News, Walmart customers are shopping less and going to other retailers more often...Target, Kroger, Dollar General...partly because they no longer believe Walmart has the lowest prices. People are just plain making fewer trips to the store and buying less when they do go.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:24 AM

I live in central Florida and I am very happy with the fabric department we have. I just bought some the other day to make pillow cases for me grandsons and I was real happy with the quality of the fabric.

Hope it stays that way.

sandy14
Old 08-06-2011, 04:28 AM

I buy less since they remodeled and made the store a maze.
Used to have every thing in rows that you could just stroll down and pick up things you would not buy until you see it.
Now I just head for whatever is on my list if I can find it in the maze.
Mine is getting fabric back. Dont like the precuts as not what I would choose and not in the size wanted. Did buy a bunch because they were clearanced at $1.99 for 2 yds.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:46 AM

the store in my town is beginning to put the bolts on the racks. The first fabric they brought out was LSU fabrics in cotton and fleece. I was just waiting to see it in a store as I need it to back my husband's quilt.