Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
walmart material >

walmart material

walmart material

Old 01-18-2011, 04:42 PM

I've had real good luck with Walmart fabric, some of it's kind of crummy, but then other stores have some crummy fabric too. Just feel it up - best way to know if you are getting the good, the bad, or the ugly.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:45 PM
Power Poster

Are Walmart is shutting down the fabric dept too. I really like ALOT of their fabric!
Old 01-18-2011, 05:00 PM

I agree with Patrice and others who said that you buy your fabric where you buy your fabric. I have some from Walmart that I can't tell apart from LQS stuff b/c it's the same, quality, name and all. WalMart does have its flaws but so do the LQS'.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
Originally Posted by KathyAire
I have Walmart fabric in my stash. Some of their fabric is good and some isn't. If I see something I like, I feel it. If I like the way it feels, I buy, doesn't matter much to me where I'm buying it from.
Ditto!!! :thumbup:
Same here.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by josiegirl
My local walmart still has material. It ranges in price from $1.50 to $6.00. Of course the $1.50 is not the thickest but the $3 - $4 seems to be nice. Am I missing something in looking at this material? They will be closing this section in about a year and I can really stock up on fabrics of all styles or am I wasting my money?
While our local Walmart sold fabric I was able to get some really nice fabric there. My favorite quilt top is made of some I got there that I have seen in LQSs that cost a lot more there. I bought a few 1/2 yards of the thinner material to make doll clothes and wasn't very happy with it. It tended to shred a lot. I really miss the fabric Walmart used to sell because much of it was good quality and they had a wide variety of choices. Often they carried the whole series of some brands. Now I have to pay much higher prices at the LQS and JoAnn so I have to buy less fabric.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:19 PM

I really miss the home deco fabric at Walmart. I used to find beautiful deco fabrics to make things for my home. My kitchen table takes a 120" cloth with both leaves in the table. I would buy the home deco which is about 54" wide, 100% cotton(said to dry clean only??) Washed in washer and dryer, took out and never had to iron it. Didnt shrink and made beautiful tablecloths and napkins and other home items. Would be around $5/yd.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:20 PM

I always check out the fabric when I'm in our Walmart. I have gotten some decent fabric & home dec fabric there. Ours has a good sized fabric department too.

On another note, I was looking for buttons the other day & had to ask where they were & the woman in the department told me they had discontinued buttons! They used to have some good ones for cheap.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:24 PM

I buy fabric I like, i don't care where it is from. If I like it and it feels good and it is 100% cotton I will buy it. To me it as long as I am happy that is all that matters. I buy and quilt to make me happy and I dont need the highest priced fabric to do that!
Old 01-18-2011, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I buy David's Textile fabric at Walmart. It's very nice and it's under $3. It's better quality then the $5 and $6 fabric. Not all Walmarts sell David's Textiles so check the bolts. You can tell by the feel of it. The Quilter's Collection is a tad thinner then I like but I'll use it for projects like tablerunners. The print fabrics on the cotton wall seem to fade fast when washed and they are the higher priced. I seldom buy any of them. I like the flannel prints. They don't shrink that much either.
I also have got lots of David Textiles at Wal-Mart. My LQS has the same fabrics for $6.99. I have noticed that the fabrics are coming in about 50 cents a yd higher and don't feel as nice as they did.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:17 PM
Power Poster

I miss the fabric department at my Wal-Mart.